Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just love the old simple ways, I am glad we have some new improvements on some things but over all the old way always works
I do, also. I remember my grandparents and their living...we call it "off grid" now...they called it life! So plowing with a horse, cellar dug into hill behind house, chilling food in the spring water, outhouse, woodstove, no electric, well with bucket on a rope.....just life there. If you wanted to eat, you grew it or hunted it. Coon and rabbit dogs were kept for getting supper, not sport. Lard a necessity. Sugar a treat, flour in sacks...best bread and biscuits ya ever ate! So they dehydrated by sun, or heat from stove. Canned all winters food. Fresh chicken and eggs. Root crops kept in ground well into winter. If lucky, they'd get a feeder pig in spring to butcher in fall. Cow was tied out and moved to graze, little fencing, she was yard mower. Fresh milk, butter and extra to pig. Grandad shaved on the front porch...little shelf for an enameled wash basin, by door to kitchen for hot water. Mirror hung above basin. Everyone's wash up area...with homemade soap. They even made their own lye, added lard, had soap. Crocks of kraut and pickles were ways to preserve. Salted tubs of meats, also. Survival. That's how things were and it worked!!

A smoke house would be so neat to build and use. Our climate is so hot, it would need an air conditioner window unit. Lol
BUT....A GREAT PLACE FOR SOLAR OVEN AND DEHYDRATOR!! There's the positive.

I agree with everyone, those knives are artwork!!! What a talent. :love

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gary said Oh WOW thank you, He has ability to cut it down to size_ what he uses in a basic starting point is 5in long 2in wide 2 inch thick- so he said what ever you have and and can fit in the box, How wonderful! thank you so much,
Great let me get a box together.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏,❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just living, thats me 100%

I love the wash up on the porch, now that its just Grandpa & I we dont really need it. But, I have thought about picking up an sink at the twice around yard and putting it outside by the hose faucet. I think it would be handy for so many messy things. It wouldnt nee to be hooked up to anything, just a hose with a 3x hose connector you can flip on&off.
When we remodeled our bathroom a few years ago, (Job wasn't finished until November) I set up a kiddy pool on the back deck. I absolutely loved going out there after dark for a bath/shower. I had to be careful coming back in so my wet feet didn't slide on the frozen deck.

I've been talking for years about putting in an outdoor shower, and a "kitchen sink" for washing produce and keeping the water/soil in the garden where it belongs. Also want an outhouse, even if it's as simple as a bucket toilet with privacy tarp. Could do a compost toilet affair with redworms!!! Maybe... this will be the year!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Son sent me this picture and said he just made Southern Illinois hardest mallet. It's a Persimmon head and Black Walnut handle. He also said it weighs 1lb 8oz. I told him that's a Paul Bunyan Finishing Mallet. And I encouraged him to whittle on the handle some more for comfort then oil it up.

I don't know if anyone has had the "privilege" to wood work any persimmon before. But it's Hard, Dense, Heavy wood. I know he had to chisel on that persimmon head for a while to get rectangle hole all the way through it 😂

1624501718868~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife best friend's grandson is in for a short visit. Dylan is such a well behaved boy for 7 years old and helped me most the whole day. We fished the pond and tended to the fowl, worked in the garden a little also. This evening after dinner we star gazed and he was in awe of the full moon. He had so many questions and is smart as a whip.

Before supper I was on the 1962 AC popping holes for rail road tie corner posts for fencing around the garden. His face lit up like something I've not seen for a long time. So when I was done, I pulled the tractor up in the back yard and I asked his grandma if he could drive the tractor around for a little bit, she said yes.
Screenshot_20210623-232039.png

So I put it low 1 and we creeped along at about 1/4 idle in the pastures, while he steered going where he wanted to go. Every switch, handle, lever and peddel, he wanted to know what it did. He thought driving the tractor around was the coolest thing in the world. But for me, it was just the simple joy and excitement of something new to a boy like old american iron, that made me so happy.

I really miss raising kids and Dylan reminded me just how much I really do miss it. I asked his mom in a txt message, if I could keep him 😂 She said I may have too, because he may not want to leave with his grandma. But he already informed me at the supper table, that he would be back in 19 days, so make sure I count the days.

But isn't "another generation" what life is really all about? I truly believe it is, at least for me during this season of my life it is anyway. It's a fact, my life it coming to an end, sooner rather than later and that's just how God Almighty made it. I know there's a lot of Grandpa in my heart. But I also believe there's still enough "dad" left in my heart to raise up a few more little ones, before God Almighty calls me home. I would like nothing more, than to show up at the gates with a totally used up heart. I need to start working on that and sooner rather than later. The clock just keeps on ticking and there's simply no stopping it.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday morning we were gone by 5 to drive 3 hours to go get 2 registered Katahdin ewe lambs. I was so excited I couldn’t sleep all night. We got home, let them join the young ewe flock and took long naps. I slept like a rock last night.

Finishing my second cup of coffee. Then I’ll head outside to do chores.

@CrealCritter what a wonderful day for a young boy. You may have planted a seed that will grow into a strong young man.
True to who you are, offering beautiful wood to grandpa is a generous thing to do.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday morning we were gone by 5 to drive 3 hours to go get 2 registered Katahdin ewe lambs. I was so excited I couldn’t sleep all night. We got home, let them join the young ewe flock and took long naps. I slept like a rock last night.

Finishing my second cup of coffee. Then I’ll head outside to do chores.

@CrealCritter what a wonderful day for a young boy. You may have planted a seed that will grow into a strong young man.
True to who you are, offering beautiful wood to grandpa is a generous thing to do.
Registered Katahdin ewe lambs. 👍 I'm working on pasture rejuvenation, trying to rid sage grass. Any ideas?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We didn’t have pasture here, we have machete hacked and chainsawed our way down to dirt, then planted grass.

CrealCritter, maybe treat your pasture with Grazon? Or leave the undesirable grasses and let the sheep trample it to oblivion. That means small pens, let them graze and trample, then move then to next small pasture. Lots of work.