Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple martins arrived en mass today. I enjoy watching the way they fly.

Yesterday evening I was sitting outside about dusk. This meme explains the "situation" perfectly.
Screenshot_20230425-135007.png

I followed my nose to the back of the barn, just in time to scare a skunk in to the den, it burrowed under the barn cement floor. I need to deal with "phew" this evening.

In all honesty I was hoping my nose led me to a person smoking skunk weed. That would have been a lot easier to deal with. But nope... I get to deal with an actual skunk instead.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Purple martins arrived en mass today. I enjoy watching the way the fly.

Yesterday evening I was sitting outside about dusk. This meme explains the "situation" perfectly.
View attachment 23220

I followed my nose to the back of the barn, just in time to scare a skunk in to the den, it burrowed under the barn cement floor. I need to deal with "phew" this evening.

In all honesty I was hoping my nose led me to a person smoking skunk weed. That would have been a lot easier to deal with. But nope... I get to deal with an actual skunk instead.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I set a live trap once to try to get an opossum messing with my chickens. Got a skunk instead. My son is still in awe of how I got the skunk out of the trap unharmed with an old feed bag the only casualty of the encounter.

Best wishes, brother. 😀

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My calculations come up to 360+ carbs. The ADA (keeping us sick, med $$$) recommends 45-60 per meal, so even by that measure, 6 meals worth....I strive for way less than 60 carbs per day to stay off as many meds as possible, so that is about a week as FEM stated for the hardcore diet.
I got curious and looked back on my dietary tracking. 360 grams carbs is on the high end for me, but within my range! Surprise! However, 101 grams of that was fiber, and 0 grams added sugar.

Venison, mashed potato, onion, mushrooms (DH cooked, LOL!) Raspberries, blueberries, kiwi, banana, carrots, hummus, pea soup with flax seed and chia seed.

If I was going for lower carb, I'd eliminate the potato, banana, and peas soup. And reduce portions of blueberries. I eat the banana and pea soup to celebrate healing my IBS and being able to eat things I couldn't eat for years. I normally don't eat potatoes, but I knew I had eaten plenty of fiber and hit my nutrient goals for the day so there was little harm in indulging.

My blood glucose and cholesterol are down and well within normal limits with this high-carb diet. Macros matter, but I think what foods you eat matters just as much or more. I didn't do well on keto, probably because I found every excuse to eat junk food that fit keto macros. :hide

This coming from a formerly food-addicted sweet tooth who couldn't stomach anything other than junk food. I had to eliminate artificial flavors, then natural flavors to fix how my brain was perceiving the taste of food. Now foods that used to taste bitter actually taste sweet. It only takes average of 6 days for the human brain to adjust taste perception - but you have to be willing to go without any sweet flavors for 6 days. High fat diet can make that transition period less challenging.

sorry if TMI, I love to talk about food. :D

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone!
Last night as I was clearing supper dishes, getting rest of Mac salad in smaller bowl for his lunch today he yelled "the reason YOU found 2 cups of Italian Ice in sink is they are no good and rest in freezer have to get thrown away too!!. I went looking for ice cream the other night and SOMEONE forgot to tell me we were out of it." He wasn't really yelling but the TV is always loud (he blames the dogs) and it's hooked into a sound system but I think it's so I can't have a conversation with him. When I do call him at work he's always says "I can't talk right now, busy driving with my GPS and you are messing it up" yet IF I ride with him on the weekend he talks with co-workers on his phone while using his GPS.
Besides the Mac salad he's also got 3 egg salad sandwiches, fruit cup, applesauce cup, pudding cup, DD iced coffee drink, nutty bars, chips, Lil muffins, PB crackers, banana.
I have a dentist appointment this afternoon for a tooth extraction and do we have soft food (soup, jello, ice cream) like we did about a month and half ago when he had teeth pulled NOPE seeing how I need to lose weight seeing how I'm TOO fat. Is he taking me "NOPE, can't afford to take time off" so does he really love me I DON"T THINK SO even though he claims he does.
celebrate healing my IBS
Congrats!!! I wish I could do that but there's no happy medium for me. I go from IBS-C to IBS-D and back to IBS-C. Way back when I was on a med for it, the med helped and am I able to get the med back NOPE so that's why I have an Apple Cider Vinegar drink everyday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so does he really love me I DON"T THINK SO even though he claims he does.
Love isn't what you say - love is what you do.

Does he check his blood sugar frequently throughout the day? I ask because I'm going to throw one little nugget out there. When my DH's blood sugar is low - he gets slow and 'dumb.' When it's high - he gets agitated and mean. I've seen it go the other way in some folks so it can be individual thing. I'm certainly not making excuses for your FH because it might have nothing to do with his attitude. I know ya'll were in an relationship some years ago that ended. One of the things to remember is that past behavior can sure be a predictor of future behavior. In other words - leopards don't change their spots.

Please remember that you deserve to be with a person who cherishes you for who you are.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since you put all this out here in the forum, you are asking for help and advice. Subtly however....

I read your post on another forum and have great concerns about your future marriage to the man who has already told you that he's not really in love with you. Still isn't....but you love him back and that is just fine for HIM!!! Probably not for YOU, sweets.

You and your beloved dogs are worth WAY MORE than he's willing to put out for you. You are a convenient housemaker, cook, chief bottle washer, and the like. He's eating his way to an early grave, while you stand right behind him. Note I said behind, not beside. A good partnership is being best friends while walking hand in hand.

Now, am I throwing stones at you? No. I've walked the path - twice. Two beloved husbands who didn't value me as much as themselves. So I had to walk away. The second came back after a bunch of months and a quickie divorce, when he realized that our time together (27 years at that point) was more valuable than the green on the other side of the fence. The first one never did find his happiness and now at 75, he's alone as he's always been.

Hugs and gentle pat pat pats on your back from me to you.