Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good morning, up at 4:30am,
what a busy weekend, all the house work friday, major watering all morning on saturday, DH left at 8:30 to go to see our grandboys ball games, after I got the watering done and lunch I drove down for the last 2 games, Sunday was Church all morning and back home, a good restful afternoon.

Yesterday was chicken bath day, the first full washing these chickens have had. I have done hiney washes off and on but they needed the full deal.
Boy what a back killer but I got 9 hens washed, I didnt do the 2 broody hens or rooster.
I have tried to keep up with their feet but they all still have Brumble foot, not real bad but their feet are not clear. Rooster has cracked pads and I'll do a foot bath, hot water soak, trim off the dried/dead callous skin but I really dont know how to help him given they are in a dirt run?????? Research time...................I had a leghorn that hade it but I was able to heal it up but this breed must have thinner skinned/ more tender feet :idunno

I did add
1686055143426.png

this to their water and will do a week of it.
It was 43 when I got up and will be 90 out at 4pm, I want to get moving and get the watering done early.
I harvested comfrey on Saturday, today I need to cut sage, oregano and thyme. I think its time to sow winter carrot seed, and a few other things, I'll check my Clyde's Garden Planner,
DG started in on the wood cutting yesterday, he is 74 and admitted it is a bit harder this year,
but the man can still kickA$$ and out work many,
:caf 6:00am,,, still 43 out DH is sleeping so I am not going to vacuum, I'll gather the trash up and walk the can down to the main RD for him,,,,,,,,after I empty the coffee pot

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Strange but, never had a chicken with that and mine free range. As to your goats...YES!!! Barn them at night. Where you are, it wouldn't take much guessing for your predators. Your dogs marking will sure help keep them thinking before coming in but, if hungry it's a given. I'd say winter would be most tempting. But the milk and cheese are worth the trouble. You can train them to a rope and collar which will let you tie them in browse areas while you're outside during the day.

My comfrey won't get cut until fall. It's a challenge to keep growing here -- between goats and chickens, I have to fence it off! Just got 6 new crowns to plant this week because they destroyed so many 😳. Found 3 plants that have come up from some root they missed in one spot. 👍 It's worse than kids in a cookie jar.🥴

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's how they build a grain silo. The top gets built first. These two are my neighbors 👍 Pay no attention the the duck cloud. It's a tease or maybe a sign. In any event, we need sky water!
IMG_20230606_155544757~2.jpg

P.S. I won't have far to go to get corn 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only time I have ever had bumblefoot in chickens is when heavy birds are coming down off a roost or something high and there is not enough bedding so it is a hard landing. I have had everything from leghorns to big heavy standard Black Langshans and New Hampshires. My birds free range and have not seen it in many many years. It is a bruising in the bottom of the foot pad, then gets infected, from all I was ever told for years and years at shows. When I started putting in more bedding and not constantly cleaning it out so there is a build up for a softer landing, it just stopped.

Latest posts