Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoa...don't need one of those! 😱🥴

Coffee was a little strong this morning...new bag of beans musta been roasted longer. More water today, less grounds in pot tomorrow👍

Gonna work a "today" list.....no "projects" today. 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kitsap Daily news said it was 185lbs-- this is at the north end of the county-- we are south, there are 2 roaming our area
View attachment 23921
Here kitty kitty kitty. Looks like it ain't missed a meal (ever) 😲

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Same here,,, I do our best at
"If we or trusted Blackjack farm doesn't raise it we dont eat it"

At the horrible prices of groceries we cant waist money easting out.

I get Organic butter and cheese from Azure and I did add a case of enchilada sauce to the order to put up in case I cant get dried red chili and make my own. I order a lot of other things as needed.

with the recent lack of Sriracha sauce (ok, i got a new bottle so i'm ok for a while yet) i'd branched out and tried the Trader Joes Dragon Sauce (it's a green sauce not red) and found it a nice change of pace that can easily be used in making a white sauce for enchilada's. at least to my taste. :) i recently was able to restock this getting two bottles because i hate being caught short. the lack of spices around here in most cooking means i often add hot sauces to things on my plate because, well, i do like spicy foods and cook that way normally if left to my own devices. the only odd ingredient in TJ's Dragon Sauce is Xanthan Gum which is not something that bothers me. the thing i do like is that it has cilantro in it with lime and garlic along with the hot peppers (Jalapeno and Habanero). it's not super hot (about the same to me as Sriracha) which is an ok level of heat.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug sounds like your "OK" , spice wise for now. Nice that you can add to, making foods better fit your taste. Here, I like onions, green peppers etc...my kids do not. So, on occasions when I'm sharing, I make two, add stuff later or mix into one end of a casserole, meatloaf, etc. You compromise.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And it is 90 out,,,, very dry. Fire freaks me out this time of year.
I did get the grass around the garden cut and gave it to the flock, its nice not having a ton to get done.
The green beans have taken off, and I think the carrots & beets are done. I'll got jars washed up and ready.
Have a great evening,
Capture.JPG

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same here,,, I do our best at
"If we or trusted Blackjack farm doesn't raise it we dont eat it"

At the horrible prices of groceries we cant waist money easting out.

I get Organic butter and cheese from Azure and I did add a case of enchilada sauce to the order to put up in case I cant get dried red chili and make my own. I order a lot of other things as needed.
Yep... I see the help wanted starting pay signs at fast food joints all the time, as I'm sure everyone else does.

The last time we went out to eat at a sit-down restaurant, I remember now, it took well over an hour to get our food and it wasn't anything to write home about.

it seems to me AS has some good clean food. Pretty handy also, with a every other week drop. Our drop coordinator is really good too, I hope yours is also.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First ever Homemade Kombucha attempt.

Ingredients:
IMG_20230715_224804873.jpg

1) Bring 1 gallon spring water to rolling boil then cut the flame.

2) Stirr in 1 1/4 cup organic light brown raw cane sugar until dissolved.

3) Then add 3 family sized Luzianne tea bags (pure black tea - no additives).

4) Put lid back on pot and allow to cool until room temperature, I'm going to let it cool till morning.

It's just a really strong and sweet, tea in non-chemical treated spring water at this point. I want to believe the key is to keep ingredients pure and at room temperature. for a strong ferment when I add in the SCOBY.
IMG_20230715_221342977.jpg

Farmbabe said you finally getting around to making Kombucha? I said I'll try my imperfect best. She gave me a big smile and a wink. That made me laugh 😂

I'll update this post at important stages. So it's not all over the place.

Part Two - primary fermentation.

Like with anything fermented sanitization is the key for success. I opt for the use of star san because I know it works very well.

Here's what you need to get the ferment rolling.

1) 1 gallon of strong and very sweet black tea that has cooled to room temperature. I let the pot cool overnight with the lid on.

2) Clean and sanitized fermentation vessel. I opted for a 9 lb food grade bucket, because it was handy

3) Organic SCOBY Starter purchased on-line.
IMG_20230716_110505889.jpg

Steps:

1) With clean and sanitized (star san) hands. Remove the three tea bags and squeeze out the excess liquid.

2) Carefully dump cooled to room temperature strong and very sweet black tea mixture into the fermentation vessel.

3) Add the contents of the SCOBY package to the fermentation vessel and place the lid on the fermentation vessel. Leave the lid cracked so it can breathe but not allow insects in.

4) Now it's just a waiting game... Primary fermentation takes 14 days. So I'll post again when primary fermentation is done with the next steps.

floating SCOBY and starter culture beginning primary fermentation.
IMG_20230716_110820459.jpg

Day 2 minor update:
Something must be happening in the primary fermenter. I didn't even know I had fruit flies in here. But apparently I do, because they found the fermenting Kombucha.

I put a elastic grain seeping brew sock overtop the cracked lidded fermenter and a "wine hack" a jar with apple cider vinegar and a drop of Palmolive Original Green to trap the fruit flies. It may take a few days to trap all the fruit flies but that's OK I have a little less than two weeks to go.

I guess you could do pantyhose or a clean towel and rubber band also. IDK the brew sock was handy so that's what I used.
IMG_20230717_222752797.jpg

Day 4 with all fruit flies gone I cracked the lid and yep seen a baby SCOBY forming on top of the brew. Mother SCOBY must have sunk, maybe she's on the bottom? Wine hack worked again, all fruit flies on the bottom of the pint jar 👍
IMG_20230719_193101693.jpg

Day 5 So many flavorings, so little kombucha.
IMG_20230719_193236501.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve tried kombucha but just don’t like it. I even tried it several times, but nope. CC I wish you success with your kombucha. With your skills, I know it will be perfect.

Latest posts