Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good SUNDAY Morning everyone!
On Fri night FH and I put the deposit down on the building we are using next year. Planning our wedding seemed like it was real than on Fri night after paying deposit and signing contract it actually became reality. Another step taken care of but still more steps to go before it is actually planned.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is hot and ready! Slept poorly -- rain, winds awakening overnight. Pounded us. More late afternoon today!! Got all the yard mowing, weed eating done yesterday before and after yesterday's rain:oops: yes, rain then, too! We are wet here.

Hot, humid. Summer is here.🤣. Almost 9am and sun is trying to get thru the clouds.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Moving slowly this morning. We walked over 2 miles yesterday. Wife is hurting big time but she did okay. Considering going to the State Fair next month, but only if we can rent a motorized chair for her.

DD gave me a bag of blueberry flavored coffee. Sipping on that right now.

Broke my no new clutter rule yesterday and bought a book on Civil War Ohio Regiments and a Stephen Sears Gettysburg book.

Recliner is trying to seduce me this morning

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug sounds like your "OK" , spice wise for now. Nice that you can add to, making foods better fit your taste. Here, I like onions, green peppers etc...my kids do not. So, on occasions when I'm sharing, I make two, add stuff later or mix into one end of a casserole, meatloaf, etc. You compromise.

yes, and once in a while i cook something for myself and if Mom wants the wimpier version i'll remove some for her before i add the other stuff. she won't now even tolerate any chili powder at all in her chili. to me that's the whole point of making chili (and i'm used to even the New Mexican style red chili sauce where there's no other anything in there to cut it besides the meat and some garlic). we get by. :) i made myself some fake lasagna this morning as i was craving something that had oregano in it.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Broke my no new clutter rule yesterday and bought a book on Civil War Ohio Regiments and a Stephen Sears Gettysburg book.

Recliner is trying to seduce me this morning

haha! i have a rule about getting new books in that i have to get rid of some to make room for the new ones. to say the least, i've not bought many new books the past few years. i hate getting rid of books...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve tried kombucha but just don’t like it. I even tried it several times, but nope. CC I wish you success with your kombucha. With your skills, I know it will be perfect.
Ha... Someone pulled the wool over your eyes. This is my very first ever attempt at brewing kombucha. All I can do is my imperfect best and hope for success.

If I have a successful primary ferment we'll do a flavor infused secondary ferment. Probably will need to be cut with non chemical treated spring water to taste also but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First ever Homemade Kombucha attempt.

Ingredients:
View attachment 23927

1) Bring 1 gallon spring water to rolling boil then cut the flame.

2) Stirr in 1 1/4 cup organic light brown raw cane sugar until dissolved.

3) Then add 3 family sized Luzianne tea bags (pure black tea - no additives).

4) Put lid back on pot and allow to cool until room temperature, I'm going to let it cool till morning.

It's just a really strong and sweet, tea in non-chemical treated spring water at this point. I want to believe the key is to keep ingredients pure and at room temperature. for a strong ferment when I add in the SCOBY.
View attachment 23925

Farmbabe said you finally getting around to making Kombucha? I said I'll try my imperfect best. She gave me a big smile and a wink. That made me laugh 😂

I'll update this post at important stages. So it's not all over the place.

Part Two - primary fermentation.

Like with anything fermented sanitization is the key for success. I opt for the use of star san because I know it works very well.

Here's what you need to get the ferment rolling.

1) 1 gallon of strong and very sweet black tea that has cooled to room temperature. I let the pot cool overnight with the lid on.

2) Clean and sanitized fermentation vessel. I opted for a 9 lb food grade bucket, because it was handy

3) Organic SCOBY Starter purchased on-line.
View attachment 23928

Steps:

1) With clean and sanitized (star san) hands. Remove the three tea bags and squeeze out the excess liquid.

2) Carefully dump cooled to room temperature strong and very sweet black tea mixture into the fermentation vessel.

3) Add the contents of the SCOBY package to the fermentation vessel and place the lid on the fermentation vessel. Leave the lid cracked so it can breathe but not allow insects in.

4) Now it's just a waiting game... Primary fermentation takes 14 days. So I'll post again when primary fermentation is done with the next steps.

floating SCOBY and starter culture beginning primary fermentation.
View attachment 23929

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Yep, and that all it is, now alway keep a quart minimum of the kombucha for your scoby..
When I am not making kombucha I put Mr. Scoby in a quart jar and fill it with kombucha, then sprinkle a bit of sugar in, and put a plastic screw top canning jar lid on it- and keep him in the fridge until I want to make more

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok ya’ll live from the coop on my cell
8E9A0C22-C764-4519-B197-A0D1CD575807.jpeg

This pic is SO cute
FA4ABA10-8A7F-4453-BE84-0204F186BBDA.jpeg

I am having coffee — and boy it tastes good,,something was out last night, the dogs barked and growled all night—
I am listening to the new little fight it’s way out of the shell , peeping away,
A92F84A2-B576-438A-BCAC-75B0A7A5F9E3.jpeg

New mamma #3 is drinking and talking to the baby
9CB41595-E88C-468B-9882-81E61D42FA1B.jpeg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pray at 4:30 it doesn’t get up to 92 in here like yesterday! It stained hot in here till 7pm
It’s 83 now

Latest posts