Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good mornin all. Have a blessed day.

it's started off interesting so there's at least that going for it. :) strange dream right before i woke up. i blame it on the prunes...

You were paying much more attention to that pic than me. I had to go take another look at it.

ditto. if pictures are small i may not get a chance to blow them up and look closer. my eyeballs work, but they aren't the best.

Unless he recently took Romeo to the local dairy queen. :lol:

oh dear, i hate soft serve ice-cream but that just makes it even worse... lol

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Morning all! FH Christmas party last night was a blast. They did raffles for different items and we won the dinner and movie gift box then FH won one of the cash prizes and on top of that the employer gave out Christmas bonus which was very good. I do have to say the employer needs to get a different vendor to cater it though seeing how the food this time wasn't all that great and it was the same thing as every other year- pulled pork, chicken tenders, Mac & Cheese, green beans and Banana Pudding. Speaking of food I need to pull something out of freezer for dinner tonight.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad y’all had a good time. Sounds like a party where you ought to eat before you get there.

Coffee! On my second cup, then I will get dressed and go outside and do chores. Got a ladies lunch to go to today, it ought to be fun.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan

Hey there, Can you point me in the right direction, where I can read up about pulling straws from a bull?

Thanks 😊
We are having fun with this, but in reality you take bull to the vet to have him “collected”. Then the seem is stored in straws in a nitrogen tank. It takes a trained technician to perform the AI . If you are wanting to AI one of your cows, a vet would be a good place to start. There are catalogs where you can pick out the bull you want and the vet orders the straws.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are having fun with this, but in reality you take bull to the vet to have him “collected”. Then the seem is stored in straws in a nitrogen tank. It takes a trained technician to perform the AI . If you are wanting to AI one of your cows, a vet would be a good place to start. There are catalogs where you can pick out the bull you want and the vet orders the straws.
A few people are asking about straws for AI. I just want to study how it's done and all that's needed, before I make a decision if I will presue or not. I'm interested in helping the breed recover is all. I also started researching about registering him in the herd book, it will depend on if I do presue this AI business or not.

And no... I didn't take romeo to DQ, or play any barry white music. All the guy needs is a hefier or cow and he does the rest. You guys are a bunch of comedians (love it) 😅

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 5 White Dorper ewes, from Ridgetop on BYH. She and her husband brought them from California. I was so excited to have them, I to incorporate them into my flock in the Katahdin breed up program. Bred to a registered Katahdin ram, the offspring can be recorded as half, breed the half to a registered ram, that offspring can be recorded as 3/4. Third generation is eligible for full registration if they can pass inspection at a year old. The White Dorpers have big meaty butts, much bigger than most Katahdins. They also keep a matted wooly thatch on their backs, desirable in South Africa, to protect them from the scorching sun. Katahdins must have a good hair coat and clean shed of their winter wool. So in my breed up program, I’ll be selecting for improved confirmation and in clean hair coats. I’m excited to start on this journey!

Last night, P 15, named Granny for her sweet face, gave birth to a much awaited ewe lamb. Due Monday, 3 days later, I was chewing fingernails! Feeding dogs last night, I heard loud grunting and groaning. Upon investigation, Granny had a nose and one foot sticking out and obviously the baby was stuck. I reached in and found the other foot and pulled. It was a big single. I’m pretty sure it’s a ewe lamb, I’ll get a better look in a few minutes when I go do chores.

Meet the first lamb of first generation on a journey that will take approximately 4 years.

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

IMG_5462.jpeg