Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's that I hear off in the distance? Is that "THUNDER", you know where there's Thunder there's⚡where there's lightening there's 🌧️. Thank You Almighty God! 😊

Looks as though we are right in the path of the Rain Train coming up from the south. Choo Choo 💓
View attachment 16267

I might just get my appetite back 😃

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
We had a storm a few weeks back and lightning split and hit a pole and my neighbor’s shed. You can keep your thunder and lightning over there!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter if you shoot an apex predator, then you only open up territory for a new one. If you have sheep, then you need livestock guard dogs. Not just one, but a working pair. 2 females usually don’t get along, littermates or not.

We had a cougar in the neighborhood a few years ago. It killed all a neighbors goats because she had guard donkeys, not dogs. All the donkeys had to do was be faster than the goats.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops hit post.

The cougar was on the property right next to ours several times after that. Our dogs went nuts, barking like mad. Cougar did not come in. It went on after a few weeks, looking for an easier meal.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Donkeys are a prey animal. When it comes right down to who’s going to live and who’s dinner, donkeys are gonna run like he!! .

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cougars present a unique threat due to their penchance to drop down on to their prey. Not a horse or equine or any bovine or anything, that will naturally go after a cougar in most cases. But I have heard of a few MULES big ones, that have taken on a cougar .... not near rock or trees where they would have an advantage. And most dogs have a healthy respect/fear of them too.... moreso than even a bear.... I have personally seen a donkey tear a coyote to pieces...stomp and shake it up and kill it.... our donkeys would go after dogs in a heartbeat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm way outside of my league here, on livestock protection. I'm enjoying learning though. I'll just keep moving forward... If anything the dogs will have a good 4 acres enclosed in woven wire to run until their hearts content. That is until I can put some hooves on it. Thinking I may have to lock up the animals at night. I was planing on letting them have 2 12 x 16 foot stalls anyways. So they can get out of the weather if they wanted. I suppose I could try and train them to stay in the stalls at night also. And I could work on some way to secure the 24 foot entrance. The two stalls with red arrows will be shelter for hooves. When they are on the 4 acres.
IMG_20201023_121120208~2.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice rain day :) being in the midwest everyone starts to get nervous, if we don't get a good soaking rain at least once every two weeks.
Screenshot_20210701-084913~2.png

My experience only but for USDA zone 6B/7. The begining of July is the ideal time to sow seeds indoors for brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, cabbage for later fall early winter harvest.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's also recommended here: sow crops for fall harvest in July. If sowing for tunnel harvest during winter, greens and other fast growers need to be sowed by mid August. My garlic is a week or so away from full harvest date, so... just as soon as that bed is cleared out, I'll poke the compost to it, and sow it for fall/winter harvest. I'll move the tunnel onto it. Hopefully, it will provide greens at least until Thanksgiving.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's also recommended here: sow crops for fall harvest in July. If sowing for tunnel harvest during winter, greens and other fast growers need to be sowed by mid August. My garlic is a week or so away from full harvest date, so... just as soon as that bed is cleared out, I'll poke the compost to it, and sow it for fall/winter harvest. I'll move the tunnel onto it. Hopefully, it will provide greens at least until Thanksgiving.
Speaking of garlic... I've got round flower heads fully open. Do I dig the garlic, cut the flower heads off and plant the flower heads? If so how deep?

Thanks