Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH objects to using the furnace. Its 60 degrees. I'm turning it on! Cold = pain. I lost yesterday to cold and pain, not a fun time. I'm not staying in bed another day :smack

We had frost advisory last night. I hope my apple trees (in bloom) and tomato plants are okay.

we have the next two nights forecast to be in the lower 40sF so i'm not planting anything that needs warm weather out yet. i can wait a week yet. when we got these plants the other day i knew we'd probably not get them planted for a few weeks yet.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not a bad little 4x6 trailer and 275 gallon tote. I've got about an of hour of labor in it so far. I'm just going to screw down a piece of 3/4" treated plywood deck on the trailer and mount the tote to a pallet, that way I can use the bobcat to remove the tote if I want to.
IMG_20220523_172518711_HDR.jpg

Guts, seems strong enough, the axel is solid steel bar welded to the frame, no springs. Sides, front and back have stakes for attaching side boards if needed.
IMG_20220523_173827492_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Not a bad little 4x6 trailer and 275 gallon tote. I've got about an of hour of labor in it so far. I'm just going to screw down a piece of 3/4" treated plywood deck on the trailer and mount the tote to a pallet, that way I can use the bobcat to remove the tote if I want to.
View attachment 18971

Guts, seems strong enough, the axel is solid steel bar welded to the frame, no springs. Sides, front and back have stakes for attaching side boards if needed.
View attachment 18972

Any thoughts on maybe some sort of tie down for the pallet? Maybe eyebolts in the corners to tie the pallet down. Based on past experiences, I can visualize it bouncing off at the worst possible moment if it's not tied down somehow.

My two cents

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Any thoughts on maybe some sort of tie down for the pallet? Maybe eyebolts in the corners to tie the pallet down. Based on past experiences, I can visualize it bouncing off at the worst possible moment if it's not tied down somehow.

My two cents
Yep it is bumpy around here, I'll figure out something to tie it down. One thing though, I'll need to load the tote slightly off center forward so the trailer is tongue heavy when loaded. The trailer probably needs a tongue jack also, doesn't need to be anything heavy duty we're only talking a little over 2200 lbs with the tote full of water. Tongue weight will be a little over 1/2 of that depending how far forward I place the tote on the trailer deck.

But even without the tote loaded and some 12" wooden sides, front and back - it'll make a nice little harvesting trailer. I have two tandem axel trailers already. They are just too big to manuver around to be much use except heavy hauling road trips.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted about the cattle. Daisy is still my favorite, it's her shy and timid personality I like the most. T-Bone is taller than Oreo and Brisket is taller than Bessey. Oreo and Bessey look like walking barrels, but still not bagging up yet, when will the calf's come?🤷‍♂️. If I don't watch myself, Oreo will stick her head over the fence and lick my arm. My wife says she really likes me, I think that's a strange way to say I like you. Cowlicks are just plum nasty. I should mention Ribeye is at my neighbors spa getting "beefy" eating daily rationing of grain. It's been a few weeks since I seen him. I should go see how he's getting along. October is Ribeye's processing date.

Here's Oreo and Bessey, Oreo still rocking that crazy 80's hair do. They both look like walking barrels with heads to me.
IMG_20220524_195257652~2.jpg

T-Bone, Brisket and Dasiy. Daisy ain't so much Oreo's little calf anymore. Brisket the Brangus steer is a munching machine. When he's grazing, it's all business and no play. T-Bone the Black Angus steer is no where near the munch machine that brisket is. Our records say, Brisket weighed 425 when his hooves hit our pasture. He's gained a lot since then. He's actually starting to take on a bulky bull shape. I believe the next steers I get, will be Brangus, I really like the breed based just this one feeder. Although I would like to try a few Herefords also. I like their coats.
IMG_20220524_195253146~2.jpg

I opened the new pasture last week for the first time. I just picked the 16 foot gate up off it's hinges and chained it to a brace post. They found the gate opening the next morning. Now they spend most of their time in the back pasture. I had to ring the bell to get them to come up for pictures.and a alfalfa cube treat. The new pasture should be a good summer pasture for them.

Just a little update. We are blessed to have them here, Thanks again Almighty 👍

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Overcast here....again. storms coming in late day? Again! :th

I have a side of my garden I want/need retilled. Wet isn't good! Of course, it's on the far side from gate, so I don't want to plant more until that's done...access issues. DS switched out to brush hog to cut something for a neighbor 🤪. Now that needs a change over and more time.😢. Guess he'll be mad when I tell him to do it! Too bad he didn't ask first. The cutting could have waited a day or two 🤷

So as I contemplate all this, I see he's put the tractor cover tarp up for a roof over his truck engine area to be able to work on it....rains tonight, tarp repurposed? Geesh! Better get another cuppa! I'm gonna need it. But I AM going to till and plant! It's my mission. Weather has put this to the top of my list.....the garden, my time limits.

Ya know, working to be SS has a lot of road bumps! :lol::lol::old.

@CrealCritter ... Ever hear old country song "Bessie the heifer"? Little Jimmy Dickens, I think. My grandma was named Bessie and swore it was making fun of her.🤣....Bessie the heifer, queen of all the cows....😁

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
(Boudleaux Bryant - Jimmy Dickens)

My daddy gave a calf to me for a Christmas present once
I picked a little heifer out 'cause both of us were runts
She never had no sense but she grew up allright somehow
And when it came to givin' milk she was an educated cow.

Chorus:
Bessie the heifer the queen of all cows
She gave more milk than any law allows
In the mornin' she gave pasteurized
At nite she gave homogenized
Bessie the heifer the queen of all the cows.

I took her to the county fair to try to win a prize
She knew what was goin' on I saw it in her eyes
The contest made her nervous she tried so hard to please
But when I tried to milk her all I got was cottage cheese.

Chorus:
Bessie the heifer the queen of all the cows.

I planted me a 'tater patch to earn some extra dough
To take a short vacation with some city folks I know
But no one else would milk the cow no matter how I'd nag
So pa took my vacation leavin' me to hold the bag.

Chorus:
Bessie the heifer the queen of all the cows...
This song is from the album "Country Boy [Bear Family (Germany)]" and "Ain't It Fun".

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Overcast here....again. storms coming in late day? Again! :th

I have a side of my garden I want/need retilled. Wet isn't good! Of course, it's on the far side from gate, so I don't want to plant more until that's done...access issues. DS switched out to brush hog to cut something for a neighbor 🤪. Now that needs a change over and more time.😢. Guess he'll be mad when I tell him to do it! Too bad he didn't ask first. The cutting could have waited a day or two 🤷

So as I contemplate all this, I see he's put the tractor cover tarp up for a roof over his truck engine area to be able to work on it....rains tonight, tarp repurposed? Geesh! Better get another cuppa! I'm gonna need it. But I AM going to till and plant! It's my mission. Weather has put this to the top of my list.....the garden, my time limits.

Ya know, working to be SS has a lot of road bumps! :lol::lol::old.

@CrealCritter ... Ever hear old country song "Bessie the heifer"? Little Jimmy Dickens, I think. My grandma was named Bessie and swore it was making fun of her.🤣....Bessie the heifer, queen of all the cows....😁

Don't remember hearing that song before I'll have to listen.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YES!!! The sun is still alive and well...😁...haven't seen it in about a week, so I was concerned. Weatherman says we are over this rain for a few days, also. I'm pretty happy with both. The cooler week has meant no AC used, another nice savings. Needed a plus somewhere.

Fresh coffee, help yourselves. I'm enjoying mine. 👍. So much I want to do and I'll need to choose, not all will happen 🤣. Draw straws? I know y'all are feeling it, just like I am.

Latest posts