Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On my last swallow of what is now cold coffee, but still good. Trying to catch up on posts. Been running hard lately. Ridgetop from BYH and her husband came in on the 5th. They dropped their RV at my son's house as it wont make the hard 90 degree turn into my driveway that also has no swing room. We left for Tennessee on the 7th, 14 hour drive, to Mike CHS, also of BYH fame. I bought his ram, Cooper. We spent the night, day, another night, loaded up Cooper and went to Conway Arkansas to visit Palomino, another BYH member. Saw the new place, fantastic horse facility and visited over supper in a restaurant downtown. Oh, we dropped trailer first, provided Cooper with feed, water and hay. Picked him up the next morning and came to Texas.

Son called that evening, "Are y'all road foundered?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Went to Leander, Tx outside of Austin, the next day to visit a leading Anatolian breeder. Got back home at midnight. Next day, Ridgetop and DH hooked up their RV and went to Mount Pleasant, 3 hours away and set up. They bought a ranch near there and cane to start reparations for moving. I went up there, spent the night, went to Tyler next morning for pre-op surgery appointments starting at 7:30 AM.

Yes, I am road foundered.

Medi-DON'T-care now considers joint replacements as outpatient surgery. You go home the same day. :barnie:th:he:tongue:somad WHAT?

So basically, My knee is getting SAWED off and replacement parts are pounded in with a hammer, stitched up and stood up and booted out. It reminds me of when I closed bars, Last call for alcohol! You don't have to go home but you can't stay here! :gig

I had planned to stay my 3 midnights and go to rehab where I would be cared for. Medi-DON'T-care has changed their rules. I voiced my objections and was told I don't qualify. I have no one at home to take care of me for those crucial first couple of weeks. It doesn't matter, hospital hands are tied by Medicare rules. Ive talked to doctor's nurse, patient advocate at the hospital, and isn't that too bad. Oh and I'm supposed to start physical therapy on the second or third day after release from hospital. I get that, the sooner the better, but I can't drive for 3 weeks. Really? Watch me!

The doctor can keep me overnight for observation, but go home next day. My daughter lives 6 hours away, has full time job. My son is working 3 hours away, has full time job. My sister is 1 1/2 hours away and in bad health. My husband is dead and in a box on the nightstand. I'm healthy and strong other than a real bad knee. If i was in renal failure, or other debilitating disease or condition, they would shuttle me off to a nursing home.

Chris, the guy I hired to work on son's house and I have him hired to feed/water for me for a month, he and his girlfriend came over a couple days ago. He said don't worry about it, we'll make sure you get to PT and we'll pick you up from the hospital. And one or the other of them will stay during the day. Doctor wants somebody here at night, guess I'll smile sweetly and tell a big fat lie. Some other friends have said they will check on me.
Bottom line is, people can't just stop their lives, leave work, and come stare at me 24 hours a day. I get that. The realtor and I became friends and she said she would check on me. A couple of neighbors have offered to go to the grocery store or get me whatever I need.

Doctor's nurse advised me to postpone surgery. For what? It will still be the same. I told her I'm not backing down, I'm doing this, no matter what.

I go for knee replacement on September 27. I have 2 walkers, one is the aluminum tri-fold, the other has wheels and a seat. I have grab bars in shower and by the toilet. I've prepared as much as I can. Stocked up on feed and dog food, and stuff for me too. LOL

A social worker will come around and may provide home health care for a week or two. I won't know about that until after surgery. I'm pretty sure that will happen based on the doctor's nurse and the patient advocate at the hospital have said. Either way, I'm doing this.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:ep

When does she start? January?
or next fall?
Next fall---I am NOT ready for it but excited for her at the same time.

@baymule Sorry that you have to go through all of that for your surgery. I hope that you have someone to help out, though I am quite certain an amazingly strong woman like yourself can handle it, it is always nice to have someone to lean on. Wish we were closer I would lend you my daughter for as long as you need.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Next fall---I am NOT ready for it but excited for her at the same time.

@baymule Sorry that you have to go through all of that for your surgery. I hope that you have someone to help out, though I am quite certain an amazingly strong woman like yourself can handle it, it is always nice to have someone to lean on. Wish we were closer I would lend you my daughter for as long as you need.
Sounds a bit crazy to me... that you have to pay THAT far in advance. :ep

It must be a competitive school with bunches of people wanting to get in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll make it. It won't be easy, but I'll make it. They will have me up and walking right after surgery. I guess that's Medicare's way of saying, "See? You are just fine! GO HOME!"

I'm making a tincture of wild lettuce, powdered wild lettuce supplied by @Devonviolet. They use it as a pain killer, soaked in 80 proof vodka, they take a half teaspoon. It lasts for 4 hours. They say it's very effective. Non narcotic, it doesn't get one high or make woozy. They gathered the wild lettuce, member of the thistle family, on the roadsides, freeze dried it and made the powder. It's nice to have good friends looking out for me!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soooooo

Since kid also has a cold, I can't get him into the doctor.

Like... maybe... tomorrow... if a toxic patient slot opens up. :rolleyes:

So we scrounged and found that we had some antibacterial eye drops left over from eye surgery back at Christmas.

Crap covid times. :(

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soooooo

Since kid also has a cold, I can't get him into the doctor.

Like... maybe... tomorrow... if a toxic patient slot opens up. :rolleyes:

So we scrounged and found that we had some antibacterial eye drops left over from eye surgery back at Christmas.

Crap covid times. :(
can you do a virtual visit? so hard to get dr appts.

Latest posts