Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good Morning ALL!
I hear all of you @frustratedearthmother , @CrealCritter, @Mini Horses about the diabetes disease and I'm trying to get him to eat healthier by putting cottage cheese, yogurt, fresh fruit in his lunch pail but his excuse for not giving up "sweets" is he needs them to bring his sugar up when it drops low. I am also trying to cut back on my sweet stuff and yes, it's very hard for me especially seeing how I LOVE sweets but have realized if it's not in the house I don't try to make a run for the store and get any but if it's in the house I eat it. I don't do a lot of fried foods anymore and if I do I use my 1of 2 air fryers, we also grill a lot and smoke meat (which I'm really careful about the rubs I put on them).
My dad was diagnosed a few years back, and I’ve been able to make some decent low-carb desserts. I’ll see if I can find any of them for y’all. And my pizza recipe, that doesn’t include cauliflower.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Evolution is very well-established. We see it in progress every day. You are "doing" evolution when you select animals for breeding.

What y'all disagree with is the theory of common descent. (I'm not a creationist and common descent doesn't sit well with me. And I don't hold an alternative theory. It's okay to not know things)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
his excuse for not giving up "sweets" is he needs them to bring his sugar up when it drops low.
Heard that one before, lol! Eating baked goods to get sugar up isn't the best way. Under those circumstances sugar will help - but the fat will slow down the absorption leading to longer lows.

A tablespoon of honey, 1/2 cup of juice or soft drink, 3 pkgs of Smarties all work better than a pastry. A continuous glucose monitoring system will really help to make sure he doesn't get so low that he has to treat it. Maybe he can ask his doc about getting one. DH has a Dexcom system and it has literally changed his life. He doesn't have to poke his fingers multiple times a day anymore. Occasionally the system needs calibration and that requires a blood reading to check it against the system.

Some really good info here:

Learn all you can - it really will make it easier if you have some basic knowledge. This is a lifelong disease and it doesn't get any easier with age. Good luck to both of you!!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Evolution is very well-established. We see it in progress every day. You are "doing" evolution when you select animals for breeding.

What y'all disagree with is the theory of common descent. (I'm not a creationist and common descent doesn't sit well with me. And I don't hold an alternative theory. It's okay to not know things)
Oh, micro evolution is absolutely established, testable, and repeatable. It’s also called natural selection. This is totally sensical. I have problem with the molecule to man evolution, macro evolution.
Macro evolution also has the problem of racism, but that’s getting into morality.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My dad was diagnosed a few years back, and I’ve been able to make some decent low-carb desserts. I’ll see if I can find any of them for y’all. And my pizza recipe, that doesn’t include cauliflower.

Latest posts