Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
image_16857089.JPG
image_67194113.JPG I use 14 to 18 Black tea and in bags, loose leaf makes the scoby funky, I put a cup & 1/2 of raw sugar in the pitcher,
image_67211521.JPG While the water is heating to a boil, I add 2 tlb spoons of sugar to the scoby I had stored in the fridge--feed the scoby---Very NICE effervescent bubbles
image_67192833.JPG

image_67200513.JPG pour the hot water over the sugar and tea bags and I am boiling another pot, I'll fill the pitcher and use some of the hot water to use up whats left in my honey jar,- I use the honey water to feed the kombucha jug we are currently drinking,
( I buy organic santa cruz apple juice just so I can have the gal. jug)
image_67182849.JPGimage_16849153.JPG

So, I let the scoby get to room temp and the tea soak until it is is cooled off.

image_16887553.JPG

Then I will put the room temp scoby and its liquid in the big glass brew jug,
will take more picks when I do this.​

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 23872 I use 14 to 18 Black tea and in bags, loose leaf makes the scoby funky, I put a cup & 1/2 of raw sugar in the pitcher,
View attachment 23873 While the water is heating to a boil, I add 2 tlb spoons of sugar to the scoby I had stored in the fridge--feed the scoby---Very NICE effervescent bubbles
View attachment 23874

View attachment 23875 pour the hot water over the sugar and tea bags and I am boiling another pot, I'll fill the pitcher and use some of the hot water to use up whats left in my honey jar,- I use the honey water to feed the kombucha jug we are currently drinking,
View attachment 23876View attachment 23879

So, I let the scoby get to room temp and the tea soak until it is is cooled off.

View attachment 23878

Where did you get or how did you make the SCOBY?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Where did you get or how did you make the SCOBY?

If I dont have a scoby and the kombucha--- starting from nothing--

72243000016.jpg

I buy 2 bottles of GT organic raw original kombucha--- Make up the tea they why I have in the pic's--- pour 3/4 of the GT's in the BIG jug, and swirl/ shake up the mother in the bottom of the GT bottles and pour it in the jug-- use both bottles--- then when the tea is cool--][to hot and it will kill the mother]] I fill the big jug and i will show you what to do next with more pic's

I am headed in to feed the dogs and will see if the tea cooled off yet,,,

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I dont have a scoby and the kombucha--- starting from nothing--

72243000016.jpg

I buy 2 bottles of GT organic raw original kombucha--- Make up the tea they why I have in the pic's--- pour 3/4 of the GT's in the BIG jug, and swirl/ shake up the mother in the bottom of the GT bottles and pour it in the jug-- use both bottles--- then when the tea is cool--][to hot and it will kill the mother]] I fill the big jug and i will show you what to do next with more pic's

I am headed in to feed the dogs and will see if the tea cooled off yet,,,

Thank You for taking time to post ❤️

We don't have a whole foods anywhere within 3 hours drive of us. So I had farmbabe order this, it'll be here this week. It will get us our first batch fermenting for primary fermentation.

My understanding is a baby SCOBY is produced everytime you brew a new batch of kombucha.

I would like to brew two batches at the same time because she like it flavored differently than I do. So we'll need rack into new glass vessels add flavoring and do second fermentations with flavor added.

It seems to be a lot like brewing ginger ale but instead of the ginger bug, you have a SCOBY.

I found what seems to be good how-to's here.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use half gallon mason jars. I bought some amber ones for it several years ago. I dont bother with the secondary fermentation.

My hubby doesn't care for the taste of kombucha except for the stuff I was making that was green tea and matcha. It tastes very different from regular kombucha.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
View attachment 23872 I use 14 to 18 Black tea and in bags, loose leaf makes the scoby funky, I put a cup & 1/2 of raw sugar in the pitcher,
View attachment 23873 While the water is heating to a boil, I add 2 tlb spoons of sugar to the scoby I had stored in the fridge--feed the scoby---Very NICE effervescent bubbles
View attachment 23874

View attachment 23875 pour the hot water over the sugar and tea bags and I am boiling another pot, I'll fill the pitcher and use some of the hot water to use up whats left in my honey jar,- I use the honey water to feed the kombucha jug we are currently drinking,
View attachment 23876View attachment 23879

View attachment 23878

Can you repost this as it's own thread? Very helpful!