Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Steer calves, start of week 11. Next week I can deworm them. Nice and sunny today, so picture colors are about right.

Dark brown (dun) coat, white belt, black muzzles
Screenshot_20231118_141354_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_140805_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why are you going to deworm them? The grass is "dead" from the frost, any larvae are in the ground not on the stalks of grass... they are mostly on milk with a little "taste testing" going on... there is little to no reason they should have worms at this point. Once they get to eating much more hay and grass, then it might benefit them... Get a sample of their manure and take to the vet to do a fecal...
Worming can upset the gut tract of calves that young when there is not real good reason to think they have worms.
We do not worm until we wean off the cows as the stress of weaning can cause a surge if there is a low level of worms/eggs in their system. If they have a low level, and are doing good and gaining, that is to their benefit as they are building up a resistance to the worms, and the damage they can do....

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
By the way, they look fine to me, and since they are a smaller breed, do not look like they are lacking anything... they do not look wormy... are propotioned... no big heads or big stomachs/gut.... they are not "pot gutted", or have "hay bellies". How is their manure? If it is semi firm, not runny nor too hard... then getting a sample will only require trying to catch one when he does a "pile"... and that is an indication that he is "okay" inside...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why are you going to deworm them? The grass is "dead" from the frost, any larvae are in the ground not on the stalks of grass... they are mostly on milk with a little "taste testing" going on... there is little to no reason they should have worms at this point. Once they get to eating much more hay and grass, then it might benefit them... Get a sample of their manure and take to the vet to do a fecal...
Worming can upset the gut tract of calves that young when there is not real good reason to think they have worms.
We do not worm until we wean off the cows as the stress of weaning can cause a surge if there is a low level of worms/eggs in their system. If they have a low level, and are doing good and gaining, that is to their benefit as they are building up a resistance to the worms, and the damage they can do....
I'm not going to deworm them, unless i see a need. Currently i dont see a need. But I could at 12 weeks/3 months if I see a need. I probably would deworm them if it were the end of may, june or the beginning of july, but it'll be the end of november when they will be 12 weeks/3 months old. I'm going by neighbors wisdom, to not deworm them before 12 weeks of age, blessed to have awesome neighbors.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
By the way, they look fine to me, and since they are a smaller breed, do not look like they are lacking anything... they do not look wormy... are propotioned... no big heads or big stomachs/gut.... they are not "pot gutted", or have "hay bellies". How is their manure? If it is semi firm, not runny nor too hard... then getting a sample will only require trying to catch one when he does a "pile"... and that is an indication that he is "okay" inside...
The entire moo crew seems happy, healthy and energetic. It is funny to hear the steer calves moo for evening grain ration though, they sound like sheep. I tell them "what? are you guys starving? I don't believe it, I know your not starving, I seen you guys suckling a little while ago."

I did set up there own personal trough. Neighbor gave me three of these, I wired one to the gate. It may last a while if they go easy on it and not jump in it. I give them a hand full of commodity every evening, its more so I can check them out daily, than it is for feed. Plus I reckon it helps get them established in a daily routine, and they sure do like the commodity treat. Farmbabe gave me the stink eye first time i fed them and wanted to give them more, I explained to her about bloat, potential digestive issues and them still suckling, she understands now and back to smiling.
Screenshot_20231118_213607_Gallery.jpg

IDK... I just care for the critters around here.

Latest posts