Cold and flu remedies?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!
Hello Sumi! I hope you're doing great now, I know that its really a very bad situation. and sickness is really an issue nowadays. I hope you're ok now.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!

oh dear! i'm so sorry this has come upon you... nobody really needs or wants to be sick, but when you have other complications too that's even tougher. you sound like you react to cold medicines about how i do. most don't do a thing and a few can make me really sick and throw me off balance. brains huh? :)

:hugs

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Tom & Jerry recipe is very basic - no spices in it at all. Just fresh grated nutmeg on top of the foam.

Tom & Jerry Batter

6 eggs
1 1/2 pound of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of dry milk powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt.

Seperate eggs. Beat egg yolks and egg whites separately. Then stir together and slowely stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Store in the freezer. (It will not freeze solid)

To use: place 2 tablespoons batter in coffee mug. Add one 1 jigger of alcohol (brandy, rum or combination of both). Stir until alcohol is mixed in. fill mug with hot water and stir. Grate nutmeg onto foam and enjoy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Tom & Jerry recipe is very basic - no spices in it at all. Just fresh grated nutmeg on top of the foam.

Tom & Jerry Batter

6 eggs
1 1/2 pound of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of dry milk powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt.

Seperate eggs. Beat egg yolks and egg whites separately. Then stir together and slowely stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Store in the freezer. (It will not freeze solid)

To use: place 2 tablespoons batter in coffee mug. Add one 1 jigger of alcohol (brandy, rum or combination of both). Stir until alcohol is mixed in. fill mug with hot water and stir. Grate nutmeg onto foam and enjoy.
Hmmm, if I use powdered erythritol instead of sugar, this might make an acceptable Keto version...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had one Tom & Jerry last night and then coughed up a whole lot of gunk before bed. I have only coughed twice so far today, YAY! This is my new go-to cough remedy, lol.

@Britesea I usually make up only 1/2 a batch for DH & I at the holidays. You could make just a 1/3 of a batch to try it out, because I know some of those sugar substitutes are expensive.
2 eggs
1/2 pound sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons of powdered milk
1/3 tsp of vanilla
1/3 tsp salt

Reading the other recipe posted, I may try a little sprinkle of cinnamon on my next one, instead of or in addition to the nutmeg I'm not sure.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
something that knocks the cough out enough so you can sleep is so wonderful after hacking for days. the ability to rest is the helper for the healing. :)

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

I really like this thread, I just want you guys to be careful because of the coronavirus, I heard there are a lot of casualties already.