Cold!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm with Deb and NH, I came here to write "I'm tired of this cold". It was supposed to be "warmer" today. I'm looking out my window at huge white-out gusts of snow flying vertically across the fields. So even if the temperature is -8c (17f )the windchill is at -20 (-4f) or colder.
shivering.gif
Looks like there might be some relief by Monday....hopefully....

Sorry about your cat Critter :hugs

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The worst part about having pets is when they die. We lost our outside Cali cat last night (the one pictured in a previous post cuddled with my outside dog). We we're expecting it though. She is very old and could hardly walk anymore. Surprised she made it this long really. But it's still a bummer when you loose a family pet :(
I'm so sorry :hugs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww thanks everyone but like I said we were expecting it.

Back on topic... It's a pain the rear watering animals in this cold hit zero last night. The outside spigot is frozen up so I have to fill 5 gallon buckets in the house and carry out to the animals. I'll be glad when it warms up a little bit.

Somehow I knew @baymule wouldn't want to trade with me :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The hydrant at the farm keeps freezing. I've been thawing it w/a hairdryer. That's the only way my horses have water. It's supposed to get really cold over the weekend, then it's supposed to warm up. I hope they're right. I've been cold all day. The heat's not working right in my truck.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to fill 5 gallon buckets in the house and carry out to the animals. I'll be glad when it warms up a little bit.

Yep -- day & night. 60 chickens, 12 full sized goats and 15 mini horses. They sure can drink!!! All the hay they get to stay warm just makes for more thirst. :idunnoGotta do it.

Predicting snow for tomorrow night...maybe 6" :th I don't need this!! I hate cold. I hate snow. I hate winter!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like snow. I don't like this cold. I'm also glad I don't have as many animals as you do!!! Was - 24 here last night, not including wind chill. My face hurt doing chores this morning. Will get up to 20 tomorrow, heat wave! I'll actually let everyone out tomorrow!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I couldn't take that kind of cold. It hasn't been as cold here, and I hate it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have asked my husband about a thousand times why we haven't moved south yet!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been on bucket detail for days. NO way I would live anywhere where this was a regular winter past time. I make rounds 3-4 times a day with a shovel to smack ice, a hatchet to chop ice and a bucket of boiling water to fill up the water for the chickens and sheep. The horse tank is 300 gallons, I filled it up before this weather hit. I break ice 3 times a day for them.