Cold!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always lived where there is snow each year, sometimes moderate and sometimes covers the houses and I'm still not tired of it. Each time I see it I marvel at it like a little kid. It's simply beautiful, no matter how deep it gets or how long it lasts.

I hope you don't ever lose that wonder, Sumi! If you do you start grumbling at every little weather change and pretty soon nothing is wondrous to you.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Exactly lol.

Says with wind chill it's -32c (-25f). I have to go out right now and get wood. I haven't managed to get the house up to 18c (64f) yet, but hopefully it will soon.

And it's not like I haven't seen these temperatures before - but they don't usually last for a week, so that really sucks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree the cold is nice... Fresh air, clear skies, great for star gazing for short amounts of time.

Agree. But I've had a day or two & I'm done!! :hide

So everyone was tucked in well last night & they wanted breakfast in bed this AM. WINDY -- so wind chills about 8 & temp on back port 17. Toted hot water, fed, opened coops & came in for another cup of coffee. It's sunny out, will help warm but still cold. Couple more days of this coming along.

THANKFULLY, I had double checked, & re-wrapped the heat tapes on my barn water lines, where any looked like the needed it -- only lines above ground. Everything working. But my barn has a line of window area the entire building, about 5' above the floor, which are 29" tall. They are covered in HEAVY, clear greenhouse plastic, so sunshine gives a warming in there that is very noticeable.

Unfortunately, our coldest weather is generally Jan/Feb here and looking at what is happening up North, I'm convinced my concerns for a hard winter here is coming. We've had fairly mild for couple years now. Are we "DUE" ?? :idunno

Too cold & windy for much more than inside today...:caf

I don't ski but have some 2nd hand ski pants that I just love! Light weight, extremely warm & silky so hay slides off....:clap

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The hydrant at the farm was frozen this morning. Some work had been done to it this year, and they'd planned on running a line to put in another hydrant, so they never filled the hole in. I mentioned it to RU last week. Nothing was done to it. I thought I was going to be hauling water for the next week or so. But, I decided to try thawing it out w/my hair dryer this afternoon. It worked! So, I just saved myself a bunch of time.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The hydrant at the farm was frozen this morning. Some work had been done to it this year, and they'd planned on running a line to put in another hydrant, so they never filled the hole in. I mentioned it to RU last week. Nothing was done to it. I thought I was going to be hauling water for the next week or so. But, I decided to try thawing it out w/my hair dryer this afternoon. It worked! So, I just saved myself a bunch of time.

Propane torch work well. Plus there is fire involved so guys like it. Not sure you would catch a guy defrosting pipes with a hair dryer. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband defrosts pipes all the time with a hair dryer. It works great.