Come back, Summer… Nothing to be forgiven!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was an Aerographer's Mate (weather observer) in the Navy, and I can tell you that the accuracy of the weather forecaster is completely dependent on the accuracy of the weather observers- those people scattered all over the globe who trudge outside in all weather every hour of the day and night to read the instruments and look at the sky. The instruments may be more accurate than they were in my day, but someone still has to look at the sky and read what type of clouds and how high up they are etc. Mistakes can be made, and also- being human- sometimes they DON'T go outside and just write down what they observed last time; thus missing a valuable clue to a change in the weather.

For all that, one of my favorite stories is of the disgruntled listener who phone the radio station to inform them that he had just finished shoveling 12 inches of "partly cloudy" off his driveway ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Britesea that is funny!

We got up to about an inch of snow and more coming down, though it's sunny in-between.

FORECASTS:

TODAY will be exceptionally cold and by afternoon very windy at times (easterly 50-90 km/hr with some variations in direction between southeast and northeast). Heavy snow will redevelop after a brief morning pause, and blizzard conditions are quite possible in parts of Leinster and near the south coast into Cork. (Cork city may be on the edge of that much of the day) ... A further 20 to 40 cm of snow could fall in some places around Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow and Meath, and 15 to 30 cm in Louth and Ulster, parts of Westmeath and Wexford. Falls further west of about 10 to 20 cm are possible, but amounts should taper down to small values (1 to 4 cm) near Atlantic coasts. Blowing snow especially by afternoon may cause zero visibility in blizzard-like conditions. Temperatures will be held down to the range of -2 to +1 C and inland may fall further during heavier snowfalls. Thunder-snow could be frequent in Leinster and occasional elsewhere.

TONIGHT will bring no real relief from this cold, snowy weather in the east and south, and snow may spread more often to the west, but any place that manages to clear could see temperatures as low as -8 C. Otherwise lows will be about -5 C and further snowfalls of 10 to 30 cm are possible in east to southeast winds of 40 to 80 km/hr. This may make the southeast counties and also counties from Meath to eastern Ulster the focus of heaviest snowfalls. Wind chill values of -10 to -15 C may be experienced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard in snowed in Ennis, Co Clare yesterday. First time in living memory for many of the residents. I bolded a bit above, in the forecast, Wicklow NEVER gets snow! I have a friend there, I'm going to message him now-now to see what is happening by him. Last time I saw him he told me it's so nice and warm on the coast, while we're freezing up here lol

21F here this morning. Coldest I've ever been in since moving to Ireland and this is my 4th winter here now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No snow in Wicklow. Friend just sent me a pic to prove it too lol In Tipperary right now… And it's coming down steadily, though it's sunny.

IMG_20180228_120220.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Absolutely! I was supposed to go down to Waterford today, but I phoned and postponed the appointment this morning. I said "snow" and the hospital said "no problem!" Our roads are a mess and I'm worried we will have trouble travelling back this evening. Best to stay in and warm today.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went outside for a minute now. It's almost unbearably cold out. Snowing again too… When I went to check on the chickens' water earlier I broke ice over the snow as I walked on it. I wonder what tonight is going to bring….