Come on Sufficient Self, lets push for an Animal and Garden section!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love a livestock section. We raise our own rabbits and chickens and butcher a couple hogs each year. And I never seem to run out of questions- and maybe I can help someone else.

And the same with the gardening!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm the only one with absolute power, and I try to wield that power with great responsibility (meaning I ask the other moderators and members for advice before I make decisions) :D

We try to make sure that important decisions like this are only done with a lot of thought and discussion first.

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I, too, would like to see a livestock section. I'm new to the SS lifestyle and learning as I go.
It would be so nice to be able to ask questions or read what others have to say about different aspects of owning livestock from purchasing, housing to processing.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe title it something like "feeding ourseves" and then subcatagories of

Butchering
Chickens and eggs
Rabbits
Gardening
Orcherds
Beekeeping
Other livestock
And posably move the kitchen catagory that we already have here also.

Just thinking "out loud"

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a thought ,why don't you all join up over at Back yard herds?.....................T.O.R..................

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
The Old Ram-Australia said:
Just a thought ,why don't you all join up over at Back yard herds?.....................T.O.R..................
couple reasons - for me the main being too many different forums to keep up with (and I am already a member there) and 2, not always is the way we choose to do things openly welcomed there. Some SS'ers have what people on BYH might consider unconventional ways to care for their animals (i.e. natural worming, doing all one's own vet care when possible).

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YES! I'd love a section on;

Livestock
Vegetable gardening
Orchard
Bees
Composting

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
YES! I'd love a section on;

Livestock
Vegetable gardening
Orchard
Bees
Composting
These sound great. I think keeping the categories simple is best, the thread titles should guide people to what interests them :)

It was mentioned above that adding categories doesn't mean losing categories, however for simplicity perhaps it is a good idea to evaluate how much use some categories actually get and perhaps amalgamate some? The Energy categories were mentioned, and I agree that thread titles in that section should be enough to distinguish solar from wind from whatever, since those categories don't see a lot of traffic. Just some thoughts there.

I also totally agree that "food" is a hugely important topic here, and that perhaps if we are to add in livestock and gardening/orcharding that it might be a good idea to move the "kitchen" and "hunting/fishing" categories in with these new topics. I've always found it odd that they are in the miscellaneous category at the bottom of the page? :hu