Confessions of a Carboholic

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And just what's wrong with greens? You fry up some bacon with a little onion - remove from pan but leave grease. Wash up your greens well, as you take them from the rinse water tear them into smaller pieces and drop into that bacon grease. They'll be wet enough to steam in just a little while. Now don't buy those old, tough greens at the grocery store. That's like eating dried leaves. You need to plant some and pick them when they're about half grown. Now's the time to plant. And they're better after it frosts on them.

We raise them spring and again in the fall and sell at Farmer's Market. There's mustard, spinach, spinach mustard, curly leaved Kale, Rape, turnip, Collards (they take longer to grow and cook). And believe me, if you ever had a big pot of collard greens cooked with a ham hock, or smoked turkey leg, you'd be begging for more.

But you don't need to stick to these greens. What's wrong with cabbage? Shred it and cook it in a pot where you've browned smoked sausage - yum, yum. :drool My favorite salad when I was on the Adkins diet was shredded cabbage with blue cheese dressing.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
My favorite salad when I was on the Adkins diet was shredded cabbage with blue cheese dressing...There's mustard, spinach, spinach mustard, curly leaved Kale, Rape, turnip, Collards
I can eat the hell out of cabbage, sauerkraut, and slaw also mow down a regular salad for dinner but still don't know what all those greens you people keep talking about.

I have never had a single one of the greens you just posted, actually in 50 years I only heard them mentioned on cartoons as they were never sold in my northern town. I don't like mustard so I will say away from those, collards and rape seems to go together so I'll have to try that combo.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have you ever had collards and neckbones omg!!!!!!!!!!

cook neckbones covered in water until meat falls off remember after about and hour of cooking neckbones pour about 1/4 cup avc in the pot

remove all neckbones until you just have the water in the pot put collards in water removes all the bones from the neckbones and put all the meat on the collards and cook up

kcsunshine said:
And just what's wrong with greens? You fry up some bacon with a little onion - remove from pan but leave grease. Wash up your greens well, as you take them from the rinse water tear them into smaller pieces and drop into that bacon grease. They'll be wet enough to steam in just a little while. Now don't buy those old, tough greens at the grocery store. That's like eating dried leaves. You need to plant some and pick them when they're about half grown. Now's the time to plant. And they're better after it frosts on them.

We raise them spring and again in the fall and sell at Farmer's Market. There's mustard, spinach, spinach mustard, curly leaved Kale, Rape, turnip, Collards (they take longer to grow and cook). And believe me, if you ever had a big pot of collard greens cooked with a ham hock, or smoked turkey leg, you'd be begging for more.

But you don't need to stick to these greens. What's wrong with cabbage? Shred it and cook it in a pot where you've browned smoked sausage - yum, yum. :drool My favorite salad when I was on the Adkins diet was shredded cabbage with blue cheese dressing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am new to greens too XPC. Spinach has only been on my menu for a couple of years. I just recently started using kale. Hubby used to eat Swiss Chard but I have yet to try it.

When in doubt on those weird veggies, just remember everything goes better with bacon :D

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
have you ever had collards and neckbones omg!
neckbone.jpg

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am new to greens too XPC. Spinach has only been on my menu for a couple of years. I just recently started using kale. Hubby used to eat Swiss Chard but I have yet to try it.

When in doubt on those weird veggies, just remember everything goes better with bacon :D
I have been laying off the bacon for the last year but since you are a world renown bacon girl I will abide by your terms - no hog will be safe in these parts from now on. and unlike the Greeks goats, I WILL ACTUALLY EAT THEM.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My family really likes wilted spinach salad. Bacon, hard boiled egg, vinaigrette dressing made tight in the pan. Anyways, I have made beet greens with the same recipe. It was very good.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
~gd said:
I hope that carnivores diet works for you as well as the vegetarian diet works for others, Myself I will remain an omnivore. ~gd
i eat more veggies as a low carber than i did as a vegetarian >.>

eta... i got my 14 year old niece to love brussel sprouts.

me: would you eat brussel sprouts if i cooked them?
niece: *silence* *crickets* yes.
me: *goes out and buys a pound of bacon, shallots, and sprouts*
niece: wow. these are good. everyone said they were really horrible!
me: so you heard of a nasty food, thought "auntie can make any food good", and agreed to eat it?
niece: yep!
me: i love you.

btw auntie.... niece says you are her Great-Aunt Zilla.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am rather great, aren't I? :D
why yes you are!

xpc - greens are totally fabu. and you dont need any fancy-fanc cookin... just sautee them a little and plop them on your plate. my fave - sauteed greens with an egg on top for breakfast

:)

and kale and other greens grow early and late in the season..and can take a light frost. so quick! rush over to your fav seed site and order some!

yummmmmm!