Confessions of a Carboholic

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
And great job on the weight loss miss!! I lost 40 lbs rather quickly too. I would still like to lose another 20-30 lbs, but that is more for vanity....LOL I fixed my major health issues (high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, reactive hypoglycemia, etc...) but being almost 47 I may never lose that last bit.
Thanks! I only gained the weight due to thryoid, but I know other medical issues would have arisen had I not taken care of it right away. My extra 20 are just for vanity's sake also, but now, since I know I can do it easily, i figure I might aw well. And I am 43, so it could happen.

Finding out I am gluten intolerant was really the best thing about this diet. due to just that fact alone, I have eliminated several medications that i hve been taking for 10-20 years. So it was really the best thing that could have happened.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i just had a realization.

my niece was here for 3 weeks.

on the last day we tried on all the clothes and had to take in every waist band 2-3 inches.

i just realized... she was low carbing at my house. those might get tight on her.

the taking in was likely not i can't measure, but she lost that much weight LOL!!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Thin sliced cabbage fried in butter makes a fantastic pasta replacer. It tastes especially good topped in chicken and mushrooms cooked in alfredo sauce :D
I will have to give that a try as I like slaw and kraut. I will go to the store tomorrow to buy "greens" and try this but will leave the neck bones in the ethnic section.

Here's a list of today's meals:

Breakfast - 1 cup (uncooked weight) white rice filled a 40oz bowl @ 140 carbs, diced 8oz chicken breast topped with canned diced tomatoes and hot chilies.

Lunch - 1/2 pound wide egg noodle @ 120 carbs, boiled then fried crispy in 1/4 cup butter in iron skillet.

Dinner - 4 grilled ham and cheese sandwiches using 8 slices of white bread @ 100 carbs (dogs got the crust).

Without adding the snacks my carbs for the day were 360, Atkins says to be 20 or less. I tend to skip entire days without eating and may over do it when I does.

Snacks were 1 pint of canned pears in medium syrup, 2 fresh oranges, and 1 cup of hot salsa with corn chips.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wifezilla said:
Thin sliced cabbage fried in butter makes a fantastic pasta replacer. It tastes especially good topped in chicken and mushrooms cooked in alfredo sauce :D
I will have to give that a try as I like slaw and kraut. I will go to the store tomorrow to buy "greens" and try this but will leave the neck bones in the ethnic section.

Breakfast - 1 cup (uncooked weight) white rice filled a 40oz bowl @ 140 carbs, diced 8oz chicken breast topped with canned diced tomatoes and hot chilies.

Lunch - 1/2 pound wide egg noodle @ 120 carbs, boiled then fried crispy in 1/4 cup butter in iron skillet.

Dinner - 4 grilled ham and cheese sandwiches using 8 slices of white bread @ 100 carbs (dogs got the crust).

Without adding the snacks my carbs for the day were 360, Atkins says to be 20 or less. I tend to skip entire days without eating and may over do it when I does.

Snacks were 1 pint of canned pears in medium syrup, 2 fresh oranges, and 1 cup of hot salsa with corn chips.
Seriously?????!?!? Dude, you are going to have withdrawals big time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wifezilla said:

I just gained three pounds reading that!

Today breakfast was three eggs cooked in butter and a pint of hot chocolate made with whole milk, bitter chocolate and stevia.

Lunch was a Brandywine tomato and a half dozen zuchinni fritters fried in chicken fat, topped with feta. The fritters were made heavy on the zuchinni and light on the batter.

Supper was about 1.5 lbs fresh green beans saute'd in more chicken fat (no bacon grease or salt pork in the house), a big handful of cherry tomatoes from the garden, and a sprouted grain bagel soaked in butter.

Dessert was goat's milk ice cream made with raw egg yolks, stevia, peppermint extract, and the chocolate chips were made with dark chocolate cut in half with raw coconut oil to reduce the sugar. Holy cow, it was refreshing.

Drinks were iced tea made with black tea bags, stevia, and my favorite chai mix.

Carbs: The bagel, the fritter batter (probably a total of 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour) and the chocolate chips....probably 1-2 tsp of sugar. I worked physically all day and got a lot done and rarely felt hungry and never felt weak. It was a higher carb day than usual because of the bagel. I ate it because I didn't feel like cooking....it is hot and dh is out of town today.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Atkins say 20 ON INDUCTION. I never did induction because I do not think it is necessary. The Groves plan is 50g or less until you get to goal. Then you can up your carb intake a bit as long as you don't start to gain again. Don't torture yourself trying to get to 20g.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
XPC, have you considered just halving the amount of rice/pasta/etc that you use, to sort of "ease into" the whole lower-carb thing?

I find it FAR easier to mentally cope with a meal that still *has* rice or noodles, just not as much of them, than to dispense with them entirely ;) In a lot of dishes, you can make the change less obvious by adding more onions to whatever you're putting on the pasta/rice/whatever.

Pat