Confessions of a Carboholic

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep. In my litany about greens I forgot to add the beet green. Just fabulous. Remember, if you don't care for the taste of any of the greens, pour a little vinegar on them. Your mouth will pucker and you'll go yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a cure!!

1 pokey pot
1 pork shoulder, cheap! (bone in is cheaper) whatever you can stuff into your pokey pot
1 cup salsa
1 lg onion (any color, I like yellow or white for this) sliced thick
1 T cumin
salt to taste
pepper to taste

add later:
shredded cheese
shredded lettuce
sliced black olives
diced tomatoes
sour cream

Drop everything (sept the cheese, lettuce, black olives, tomatoes and sour cream) in the pot and set on low for 8-10 hours. Do something useful. Then drain most of the liquid, and "pull" the pork apart with two forks. (Meat makes it's own juice so don't worry if the salsa doesn't cover it in the beginning.)

Serve topped with cheese, lettuce, sour cream tomatoes and black olives (whatever order).

Makes like a gabillion servings.

You won't think of those bad carbs for a week, I promise.

BTW, Ofg gave me this recipe. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have never been a carbaholic, but I have been low carbing it since February. I lost 30 lbs in about 4 months. I start my day with eggs--always. In any shape or form, usually accompanied by jalapeno havarti.

Lunches are lotsa veggies--even carrots which are high in carbs, with some type of meat . I also have a recipe for flax bread that I have on occasion which is really low in carbs. For supper, again lotsa veggies, meat , but to replace the need to have a side like potatoes, pasta or rice, I usually do fried cabbage or baked cauliflower. I took a break for most of the summer ( I feel this dire need to eat corn on the cob when it is in season, plus all the fruit that is in season)but am back at it again for another 20 lbs (the 30 I needed to lose to get into my normal weight range. the 20 is just because I want to get to the lower end of my bmi)

I wouldn't worry too much about eating kale and swiss chard--those things have never been in my house, and I have lost weight without them.

My snacks are veggies and dip, cheese, hardboiled eggs, and although not low carb, I munch on nuts moderately.

Now, since I have never been a carbaholic, even though I did enjoy them, I can't attest to how hard it is to get off of carbs. I know some people have actual withdrawal like headaches, weakness and dizziness etc. For me, it was just a matter of filling the need to have three things on my dinner plate, b/c I have been raised to believe that you need ameat, carb, and veggie. Cabbage and cauliflower has replaced the potatoes/pasta/rice. Lately, since it is summer and i have a garden, alot of our meals have been simply some type of meat with a huge salad. and since it is summer and we barbecue alot, I have now taken to brining my meat before it goes on the grill, and this removes the need for barbecue sauce.

Oh, and I also switched out sugar for stevia. I did buy a bag of splenda back in february when I started this diet, but I think I have used it twice--once for flaxmeal muffins, and once for a cheesecake. All I needed to do was make a few changes in my diet, and the pounds started melting off. for me it was easy.

I have absolutely no desire to go back to my original way of eating. I honestly feel so much better eating this way. Ii have never tried to lose weight before, b/c low fat and calorie restriction never made sense to me. But when i gained 20 lbs in two months due to my thyroid, I knew i needed to do something. so I started researching and this seemed to make sense to me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Thin sliced cabbage fried in butter makes a fantastic pasta replacer. It tastes especially good topped in chicken and mushrooms cooked in alfredo sauce :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Thin sliced cabbage fried in butter makes a fantastic pasta replacer. It tastes especially good topped in chicken and mushrooms cooked in alfredo sauce :D
we add a big mess o' garlic to that, :drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Roasted garlic if you have the time :D

I hope you guys like the "noodles". It's hard to beat the price too! I got a giant head of cabbage from the farmer's market for $2 Saturday.

And great job on the weight loss miss!! I lost 40 lbs rather quickly too. I would still like to lose another 20-30 lbs, but that is more for vanity....LOL I fixed my major health issues (high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, reactive hypoglycemia, etc...) but being almost 47 I may never lose that last bit.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
1 pokey pot
1 pork shoulder, cheap! (bone in is cheaper) whatever you can stuff into your pokey pot
1 cup salsa
1 lg onion (any color, I like yellow or white for this) sliced thick
1 T cumin
salt to taste
pepper to taste
I had to look that up, I guess to the uneducated a slow cooker could be referred to as a poky pot. I may just have buy one and try this out.