Confessions of a Carboholic

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I just finished 2 big bowls of boiled cabbage soup and was pretty good. I actually just made my standard chicken vegetable and replaced the 1/2lb of dry egg noddles with about 2 pounds of sliced cabbage, the can of diced tomatoes with hot chillies gives it a kick. I will try the butter fried cabbage next.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for you!

Try this one, but reduce the bacon to 2 or 3 strips. The little biit of bacon goes a long way and adds a lot of flavor.

Recipe here:
http://millriverfarm.com/recipe.cfm?id=463&catname=Vegetables

recipe_fried_cabbage.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Mmmm. That looks so good Kim!

You know xpc if you need a carb every now and then, make some sourdough bread. It is cheap to make from scratch. (Ingredients: flour, water, sugar and salt.)

Sourdough isn't supposed to spike your blood sugar like regular bread due to the fermentation process.

I have a starter that is now one year old and oh so sour that I would be happy to share...however it is a snap to make your own with just flour and water.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You know xpc if you need a carb every now and then, make some sourdough bread. It is cheap to make from scratch. (Ingredients: flour, water, sugar and salt.)

Sourdough isn't supposed to spike your blood sugar like regular bread due to the fermentation process.
The soup didn't stick as I had a big bowl of All Bran (40carb) a few hours later. My bowls are 16oz so I had a full quart of soup but was also the only eatings all day besides the cereal.

I may have to try some sour bread with dinner as it seems to be lacking, had to have 2 slices of whitey (22carb) with that slow cooked pork which turned out excellent but after 10 hours there was no liquid to drain and just de-boned shredded and ate, the medium salsa gave it a nice tang.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
xpc, it sounds like you skip a lot of meals. You need to eat 3 good meals a day on some kind of schedule and you are allowed snacks between meals and at bedtime - just snack from your low, or no carb items. I keep boiled eggs in the fridge and lots of times my hubby will sit down with a couple of boiled eggs and a chunk of cheese and it settles his hunger right down.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
yeah, what she said, quit skippin!

xpc said:
....with that slow cooked pork which turned out excellent but after 10 hours there was no liquid to drain and just de-boned shredded and ate, the medium salsa gave it a nice tang.
Sounds like your slow cooker runs hotter than mine. Glad it turned out either way. (Next time try 8 hours on low.) Rather than white bread, use 2 corn tortillas instead, they run about 14 grams of carbs each, be sure to fill them to the max with the pork, cheese, (lettuce, salsa, tomato) and sour cream too, that extra "fat" helps lower the glycemic index. (Corn tortillas keep well in the freezer.)

I also make lots of taco salads; use regular ground beef, (it is cheaper than the lean stuff anyway). Pile the browned taco seasoned beef on top of a tall bed of iceburg lettuce and cover with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, diced tomatoes and black olives. Mmmmm! Add a couple of corn chips (for a garnish) and ohmigod!!!

Even whitey sourdough bread is 10 times better for you than whitey regular bread. And it tastes so good fresh out of the oven with a nice pat of butter melted on top.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
xpc, it sounds like you skip a lot of meals. You need to eat 3 good meals a day on some kind of schedule and you are allowed snacks between meals and at bedtime - just snack from your low, or no carb items. I keep boiled eggs in the fridge and lots of times my hubby will sit down with a couple of boiled eggs and a chunk of cheese and it settles his hunger right down.
I usually ate a lot hb eggs and fed the yolks to the dogs but not having chickens anymore has reduced it to only a few a month, just started buying more so I can have them daily. I know skipping meals is a bad thing but a hard habit to break, just like today I am so busy with things that I do not have an appetite and will only have coffee until well into the wee hours which will end with a few knocks off the rye bottle and then to bed. It is typical for me to go without food and sleep for 24-48 hours twice a week then gouge on the between days and have been doing it for the last 30 years.

I have only had a few sit down meals in the last 20 years as a kitchen table is only for working on, even so I don't own any kitchen chairs or a open flat spot if I did. Just like the pork roast I eat most of my meals straight out of the pot while standing at the stove or sink and smaller meals at the computer desk which is so full of paper work for eBay shipping and website designs that I dare not shuffle them.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
yeah, what she said, quit skippin!
Sounds like your slow cooker runs hotter than mine. Glad it turned out either way. (Next time try 8 hours on low.)
I read that new ones can run hotter and mine may have cooked for 12 hours now that I think about it.

I went to walmart yesterday for more vegetables and saw okra but still fearing it passed it by, then while passing the hot case saw they had deep fat fried okra and got 50 cents worth. I ate them even though they were pretty nondescript as far as taste goes, I gave one to the dog that eats anything and she appeared to eat it then it tumbled from hew jaws and looked dumbfounded at me like why I was trying to trick her - I doubt i will ever buy them again and will leave for the ethnic people.