Confessions of a Carboholic

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wowza on your menu :th

I was going to adress the greens, but now I think your bigger problem is getting rid of all those refined carbs!

So the point behind the greens is nutrition. Personally I never grew up eating them and so I am not a big fan. I found that I can sneak my daily greens into a smoothies and never notice them. Try combining some plain yogurt, frozen berries, frozen spinach, a little bit of banana and filtered water or coconut milk to thin.

More importantly though, get off all those grains and your weight will drop easily!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i believe in going slowly into it. halve your carbs and leave it there until you are comfortable with it, and then halve it again... continue doing this til you've gotten to 50 a day, or so and see how you feel.

:)

i think the induction is nearly guaranteed to ruin the entire diet for you, even if you DO end up at 20 grams a day. you hit withdrawals immediately, your body gets sick as hell adjusting, and emotionally you are missing all your foods.

it makes a lot more sense to slowly make substitutions and get used to it.

of course, i'm pretty slow with changes :D

eta: that's with most carbs. i'm all for cold turkey on the processed carbs. you'll DT but it's the only way, really. if you have any white sugar in your diet you'll keep craving it. it's a drug.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That was a lot of work in this heat carrying in all the groceries, the 100 lbs of sugar didn't help.
I got 10lbs of pork and 10lbs of chicken legs for the new slow cooker someone forced me to buy, also got 2 heads of cabbage and thought were a good deal at 0.43 cents but later found it was per pound and ended up with 5lbs.

I will try some slow cooked pork with a side of butter fried cabbage tomorrow, doubt I would ever had made it down to 20 grams let alone 50 but will try a slow substitution over the next few weeks.

I had no idea you could get the DTs from carb withdrawal and probably why I feel so crappy before and after eating.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
SKR8PN, there is no such thing as a NO CARB diet since even meat has some carbs. But there are people who live a very very low carb diet and do just fine. My diet is limited carbs...less than 50g per day.

THERE IS NO DIETARY NEED TO INTENTIONALLY INGEST CARBOHYDRATES. None. Zip. Zero.

There are a few organs in your body that do require glucose and your body is perfectly capable of producing glucose in the liver as needed if you are getting enough protein.

As for whole grains...I got super fat and developed high blood pressure on whole grains. Brown rice, All bran cereal, whole wheat bread....it's all just sugar in disguise.

First of all I strongly recommend getting a book like Protein Power Life Plan by Dr's Mike & Mary Eades or Natural Health and Weight Loss by Barry Groves. Without the books you can easily flail around, miss some very important concepts (like the importance of healthy fats and what those actually are) and end up making youself miserable.

Second of all, there are loads of tasty veggie side dishes out there. Cauliflower baked with pepperjack, green beans and bacon, etc... Here is a great site with low carb recipes...
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
(I met her on a low carb forum and really like her recipe reviews)

Also, here is my low carb column...
http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denver-Low-Carb-Examiner

This way of eating IS NOT some slog through life deprived. Seriously. It is about recognizing the reality that carbs = sugar and eating 3-4 cups of sugar a day is NOT HEALTHY regardless if your body absorbs it quickly or slowly.

As for fruit, I eat fruit. Just not all the time and I focus on berries. They tend to be lower in sugar and higher in nutrition. I also occasinally have apples and melons. I just have to eat them with some protein and fat so I don't get a blood sugar swing.
Wifezilla takes a similar approach to that of a retired family-physician and flight surgeon in the USAF quoted below:

"I now realize that in many cases of uncontrollable obesity, the type of diet appears to make a world of difference. Protein and fat is the secret. The more you rely on protein and fat in your diet the easier it will be for excess fat to melt away and the easier it will be to maintain ideal weight.

Where Banting told us how to do it 180 years ago, former serious, type 1 diabetic, Richard Bernstein MD, re-introduced this concept in 1980 with his book, Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution to Diabetes. And more recently Laurence Chalem has picked up this concept in his book, Essential Diabetes Leadership.

Although both Bernstein and Chalem were focused more on diabetes and extending their own good health, their information is directly relevant to weight loss.

Like Banting, their secret appears to be a rigidly carbo-restrictive diet (10-15%) with protein (30-35%) and fat (50-55%) responsible for the rest. This is the most effective and palatable weight loss diet and one which I could have offered my frustratingly obese patients, but they didn't teach me that in medical school.

When I tried this carbo-restrictive diet of eggs, meat of all kinds, nuts, butter with just a touch of such vegetables as cauliflower and broccoli, no sweets, weight loss was amazing. Breakfasts were usually eggs. Lunch and evening meals were plenty of meat and vegetables. I had only a few extra pounds so it did not take but a few weeks to become fat free and you don't feel hungry."

Of course there is the very aggressive approach which is as follows: The entire diet consists of ONLY raw fruits and vegetables for 2 weeks. Nothing else. Eat as much as you want, as often as you want. Four things will happen. 1. you will lose about 14 pounds. 2. you will not have to cook for 2 weeks. 3 your cholesterol will come back down to normal and 4. you'll appreciate the results every morning in the Bathroom.

There are several "metabolically negative" food items; meaning it takes more energy to eat them than you get from them...apples and cabbage are among them. You will lose weight eating them.

Adding back beans, dairy and meats comes in very slow increments.
Most humans (not all) can live easily and very well on only 4 ounces of meat in a week. Many live on no meat. I've not met one obese vegetarian in my 40 years in the field of medicine. :old
YMMV
Trim sends

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
XPC man!!!! Where are those veggies your mom taught you to eat??? You need a rainbow, and the best way to do that is to buy colorful veggies.

Go now, return that 100 lb sack of sugar, and get some broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots (big or small), radishes, maybe an avocado to have with your salsa which you can use on the salad you're gonna make. Veggies man!!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I have all those but don't last beyond a week or two, I seldom take the time or expense to drive into town willy nilly and usually only shop once every 8 weeks. It was one of the reasons why I bought a pressure cooker so I can have those things available.

I may be looking for a job soon and will have an excuse for making the half hour drive for fresh produce more often. Also if I shave my beard for job interviews I will loose 20 pounds in gravy solids.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
And probably another 20 after you trim your famed beer bottle opening toe nails.

You also can put a whole chicken in the crock pot held up off the bottom with 8-9 tin foil balls. Drizzle (b/c it usually has lots of sugar in it) some bbq sauce and add salt and pepper etc. to it. Set on high for 8 hours and it will be the best crispy bbq chicken!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That sounds good and will have to remember but whole chickens are not a good deal around here. I did buy some what was labeled as "steak pork sirloin" as they didn't have any big boned cuts except for a boston pork roast, the meat lady said the sirloins would work good in the poky pot as it was the same cut of meat as the boston but was on sale for $.99 cents a pound, neither had a very big bone in them. I am going to build it right now so it will be ready for breakfast.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
What the crock - it has only been 2 hours after starting 3 lbs of pork covered in salsa and onions and the house is smelling like it ain't never done before, this is gonna be pure torture to sit in here all day with a slow cooker smelling away. The dogs don't know what to make of it either as they are walking around with their noses high in the air, I think only Doctor Phibes could come up with a contraption as evil as this.

I always seem to overcook pork for fear of butt worms so seldom make it as it comes out dry even when checking with a thermometer often. If this makes pulled pork like they sell at the sally wagons I will be in business.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(Pssst, you do have it on low right?)

Its smells so good, I can smell it from here!! OMG, it is better than heaven!! Ofg said you can also make bbq pulled pork by just subbing the salsa etc for bbq sauce. I've done that quite a few times, it just isn't as good topped with cheese and with a bunch of salad under it. Very good though by itself with a few sides. (She is a pork genius.)

I never cooked pork until about a year ago and now I only make it in the crock pot...it is juicy and mouth watering every single time.

It is a nice cheap cut of meat too and it keeps the Russian wolf at bay for a few days, mama likes.