congress passed and now intnl stock market...#2

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we put the cronies in office and now they MUST GO!! :mad: it really has me so mad, i normally stay clear of politics but have been keeping up with it lately, watching senate meetings and votes, I am ashamed of the congress they are a laughing stock not to mention lying fools. The old saying is how do you know if a politician is lying?....his lips are moving!! I hope all my fellow Americans get through this.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL---we are so tainted now to believe anything from their lips is just not easy to do.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am just glad they took ACORN out of the deal. We only have dh's retirement with the state but that should recover by the time he retires at 51 in 11 1/2 yrs. If not we will still have my annuity that is a garuanteed payout for me at 55(same time dh retires). And it is tax free money too. But I do not like the bail out either. I think Fannie & Freddie should have been allowed to fall flat on their faces! The only one we shuld have helped was AIG as they hold the FDIC insurance for our accounts. My parents who have an IRA are sitting on pins & needles waiting to see what happens. My mom is looking into moving one of the accounts(her name is on it) into a CD. Their home is paid for, but needs work(plumbing & painting)So not sure how they would get everything done on just SS. Not to mention paying their taxes every yr.

One of the things that scares me is I have seen so many financial experts on Fox saying that even if they do this it is like putting a bandaid on a hemoraghing wound. So are we really just delaying the ineviatable? Which is good for us to get stocked up a little bit more on a few things. But just keeps us worring longer doesn't it?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I really wanted Congress to offer some help to home owners facing mortgages that are more than the current value of their homes.
I can see financial people running around like chickens with their heads cut off but why can't Congress also help the non-billionaires some at least.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that even if they do this it is like putting a bandaid on a hemoraghing wound.

*****you said it HM
I wish they would truly, truly think before they react with this type of "fix"
Trying for a fast fix will not help anyone, it is best to truly work out a plan that will slowly help recovery....I don't see this doing anything but digging the hole deeper when it still collapses around us.

hmm....

help, someone help us....who....someone! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we are just putting a bandaid on. I am glad the house is paid for. That is a big expense. NO, you cant believe snything the media says...I am so disillusioned that I dont think you can believe anything the politicians say.
I do know that as soon as this calms down some I am going to move my retirement stuff to gold, silver, and other hard assets. IMO,TJM

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wearing a tin hat, but this is all too weird. I can't believe there aren't some ulterior motives just because everyone who supports this does so contrary to the will of the people (not to mention common sense.)

History has shown this tactic to be unnecessary and counterproductive.

Economists and other financial experts don't think it's necessary.

Overwhelmingly the people don't want it.

It's not even constitutionally acceptable because it was originated in the wrong office.

In spite of that, the president (and others who support it) are trying to scare us (the non-supporters) into acceptance.

WHEN is it EVER a good idea to work people into a frothy panic?!
(The answer is NEVER.) Funnily enough, in spite of the much publicized gloom & doom, none of the people that I talk to are taking it seriously. Their scare tactics don't seem to be working that effectively.

They are trying to justify, in advance, this absurd overreaction. It makes me wonder what the point really is... I can't figure it out because I don't study politics (and certainly not economics) but it wouldn't shock me if this is meant to set off a chain of events that will allow GWB to proclaim himself supreme dictator by Executive Order.

I realize that sounds far fetched, but I can't shake the feeling that something sinister is going on. Who knows what it is, tho.

Cassandra

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Maybe I'm wearing a tin hat, but this is all too weird. I can't believe there aren't some ulterior motives just because everyone who supports this does so contrary to the will of the people (not to mention common sense.)

History has shown this tactic to be unnecessary and counterproductive.

Economists and other financial experts don't think it's necessary.

Overwhelmingly the people don't want it.

It's not even constitutionally acceptable because it was originated in the wrong office.

In spite of that, the president (and others who support it) are trying to scare us (the non-supporters) into acceptance.

WHEN is it EVER a good idea to work people into a frothy panic?!
(The answer is NEVER.) Funnily enough, in spite of the much publicized gloom & doom, none of the people that I talk to are taking it seriously. Their scare tactics don't seem to be working that effectively.

They are trying to justify, in advance, this absurd overreaction. It makes me wonder what the point really is... I can't figure it out because I don't study politics (and certainly not economics) but it wouldn't shock me if this is meant to set off a chain of events that will allow GWB to proclaim himself supreme dictator by Executive Order.

I realize that sounds far fetched, but I can't shake the feeling that something sinister is going on. Who knows what it is, tho.

Cassandra
My mom thinks the Dems have created this to gaurantee a victory in Nov for Obama. Because he talks a good talk. But if you examine his plans the numbers do not add up at all.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know that this probably wont get read :he BUT I just sent an email to the pres. At least I feel like I did something instead of my usual feelings of helplessness when it comes to politics.

Gravelcreekfarms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
WHAT A MESS! The government is so inefficient it makes you want to cry.
They can't supply decent health care for their veterans. My dad has to wait months just to get an appt. and then he has to drive 70 miles to get there. The VA hospitals are full of empty rooms but they still have to be cleaned and paid for. Seems there would be a better,more afffordable way to get care.
They want to move the Hoof and Mouth disease facility from Plum Island to a more centralized point like Kansas. If it got out goodbye to the livestock industry.
These are little examples of the stupidity of Government. I won't even touch the bailout.And they are so sneaky about some of this stuff that you have to spend a huge amount of your time finding out the truth. Heaven's knows the Media isn't going to give you a balanced version. (well mainstream media, anyway )
Wishing you peace in the coming days ahead!