Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can buy dried elderberries on line. My pastor's wife gave me a bag full. I need to stock up on baking yeast. If one does not have access to that, it might be a good idea to start a sour dough culture.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We aren't seeing as much empty shelf syndrome here, except for things like rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer. Also out of Aloe Vera gel because a lot of people are making their own hand sanitizer and that's an ingredient in one of the more popular recipes out there.

The other thing I'm seeing is some of the old men in our Tai Chi class are not insisting on hugs from every female there, lol

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can buy dried elderberries on line. My pastor's wife gave me a bag full. I need to stock up on baking yeast. If one does not have access to that, it might be a good idea to start a sour dough culture.
Don't count on it. Mountain Rose Herbs is out of stock.

We learned that the whole wheat berry has yeast present, just like grapes do. If you grind your own wheat flour, all you need to do is add water to start your own sourdough.
Apparently during Colonial times, housewives would pinch off a bit of their bread dough, with the yeast in it, and dry it. To make fresh bread, all they had to do was take that bit of dough and drop it in some warm water and let it soak for a while, then use it in their dough. That's essentially what the stuff in the little packets is... so no big strides in technology there.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Different group today, a doe and 2 fawns. Well maybe not fawns, because they don't have spots, but they are most definitely yearlings. Cute little things... I watched them for a good 1/2 hour from the dining room window. They were close enough to take down with my .357 easily.
IMG_20200309_170336.jpg

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, today the stock market plunges 2,000 points due to coronavirus and oil wars. The government of Italy also has closed off travel and ordered quarantine for the entire country. Meanwhile, some folks say this is nothing but a glorified flu and others say it is worse than we know.

What do you all think? Is this worse than they're letting on or just the opposite?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I seem to be a cynic, and a bit of a pessimist when it comes to human nature, and the ability of government to exploit any situation to keep folks wringing their hands, and looking for a "fix" to the world's problems. So.... I vascilate between: it's just an other flu type bug that is taking the world by storm b/c it's "new" to the human immune system... vs. This is a HUGE issue, that has the potential to kill A LOT of people before immune systems get cranked up to fight it, and... in the process will send us into a global economical depression, the likes of which we have never seen. Birth pangs.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So, in the course of normal shopping, the local WM still had plenty of supplies as of Sunday

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today the stock market plunges 2,000 points due to coronavirus and oil wars. The government of Italy also has closed off travel and ordered quarantine for the entire country. Meanwhile, some folks say this is nothing but a glorified flu and others say it is worse than we know.

What do you all think? Is this worse than they're letting on or just the opposite?

The Chinese Corona Virus (COVID-19) is a major event. It will impact all of our lives in one way shape or form, even if not contracted and it already has impacted you and I. How we became so dependant on China for everyday medical needs, is the real virus in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.