Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So, today the stock market plunges 2,000 points due to coronavirus and oil wars. The government of Italy also has closed off travel and ordered quarantine for the entire country. Meanwhile, some folks say this is nothing but a glorified flu and others say it is worse than we know.

What do you all think? Is this worse than they're letting on or just the opposite?

Mark Twain "lies, damn lies, and statistics " is my stance. We won't know the real numbers. This is being spun by all sides. I will not comment further on the politics of this.

In our house, we have made our peace. My wife is highly susceptible to respiratory infections, I feel like a biohazard employee with my attempts to prevent bringing something home (including the regular flu). My kids all work in very public settings, so we are trying to be proactive.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My stocks are waaaay down. :(
Otherwise we are good. Feed and dog food may become an issue. Can only store so much of that.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
There has been waves of pestilence throughout history, the Black Death was carried to the western world over the trade routes of the day. Really no different then from now. We live in a global world, isolation is not an option.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mark Twain "lies, damn lies, and statistics " is my stance. We won't know the real numbers. This is being spun by all sides. I will not comment further on the politics of this.

In our house, we have made our peace. My wife is highly susceptible to respiratory infections, I feel like a biohazard employee with my attempts to prevent bringing something home (including the regular flu). My kids all work in very public settings, so we are trying to be proactive.
Oh, I agree with Mark Twain. We will never, ever know the truth behind any of it with the politics of the US, China, and others involved. I am not really worried by it. I am more fascinated to know what the truth behind the curtain is really about. But, alas, I will not know... and that's okay too.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh, I agree with Mark Twain. We will never, ever know the truth behind any of it with the politics of the US, China, and others involved. I am not really worried by it. I am more fascinated to know what the truth behind the curtain is really about. But, alas, I will not know... and that's okay too.
You are young enough. In 20 years, a documentary will be written. Lololol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
There has been waves of pestilence throughout history, the Black Death was carried to the western world over the trade routes of the day. Really no different then from now. We live in a global world, isolation is not an option.
Absolutely. We are kidding ourselves if we think we can truly squash this by quarantine and isolation. We don't exactly understand how contagious this virus is, nor can we prevent its spread. Today, alone, I've probably had direct contact with 300 people between work, a funeral and a dinner to follow.

The main benefit to preparedness in these situations is being able to limit exposure, and to have a steady supply on hand in case of shortages.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, my wife must be feeling better, she's hopping mad about all the stuff (food and medicines) that are made in China. I got to hear how chickens are raised in the USA, shipped to China, processed and shipped back the the USA and sold in the stores. Farm raised tuna, turkeys, beef, etc. I 😍 me a sassy woman who speaks her mind freely. My wife has a double case of both. Yep I'm very happy life is getting back to normal and S A S S Y 👍Looks like I'll be raising livestock in the near future.

Last edited:

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
buy flour and yeast, baking soda and baking flour. If you don't have eggs and milk to make regular bread, you can make flour tortillas. Look up the recipes and stock up the items you need.
[/QUOTE]

I do, I buy flour, sugar, yeast, baking soda all in bulk. Cause when i bake i bake a lot lol
Powdered milk and evaporated milk for milk replacement if I have none :)
Thankfully I've a few different bread recipes, all are in a rotation of use. No yet made tortillas though

Status
Not open for further replies.