Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need to stock up on baking yeast. If one does not have access to that, it might be a good idea to start a sour dough culture.

This link has a few ways to make yeast :) I haven't tried em yet but theres a couple methods

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First "presumptive" case of Covid-19 announced in Klamath county. They are tracking down all the people that had enough contact with the person to be considered at risk.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Strange how China COVID-19 has impacted the entire world so quickly :(
Not strange at all. There were 4 billion airline passengers last year. https://www.statista.com/statistics/564717/airline-industry-passenger-traffic-globally/

Throw in the number of cruise ships clustering thousands.
We are a globally connected world.

It's what infectious diseases do. I am not downplaying the seriousness of this, I will say emphatically I dont buy into any of the conspiracy theories floating about.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Way to go good ol' USA. Our death rate from CV infection is 3.9% while world wide is 3.5%. Compare this to influenza death rate of .1%.
I dont have the number in front of me, but a statistically significant portion of the deaths were clustered in a nursing home with already vulnerable individuals. Influenza has standard treatment protocols and established testing methodology. That .1% death rate is still tens of thousands of individuals across all demographics. CV appears to be fatal to individuals already at risk, I am guessing because a treatment protocol is not available.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dont have the number in front of me, but a statistically significant portion of the deaths were clustered in a nursing home with already vulnerable individuals. Influenza has standard treatment protocols and established testing methodology. That .1% death rate is still tens of thousands of individuals across all demographics. CV appears to be fatal to individuals already at risk, I am guessing because a treatment protocol is not available.

I'm not trying to pick an argument here. But, it seems to me that we are making excuses for the increased death percentages in the US. These individuals in the nursing home were in a place where they should have been receiving good care. Statistically, their chances of survival should have been BETTER than those of similar health risk who were living in the community. And, don't you think that there were people of similar health circumstances that were affected in the other countries? To state that our stats are worse b/c folks in a nursing home died is IMO making excuses for our broken health care system.

Supportive treatment for any respiratory illness would involve many of the same interventions: oxygen, antibiotics in the presence of secondary bacterial infection, replacement fluids, meds to open the airways if indicated...

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These individuals in the nursing home were in a place where they should have been receiving good care. Statistically, their chances of survival should have been BETTER than those of similar health risk who were living in the community.
Been to a nursing home lately? I have. The folks that are there are definitely there for a REASON. A health related reason. They are there because they are medically fragile and can't be taken care of at home. It is quite possible that many of them had DNR's because they know they won't recover from a serious illness of any type.

Status
Not open for further replies.