Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
from my previous experience trapping here and the neighbors are all far enough away i'm pretty sure i could trap a few animals a week to eat without ever running out as long as the neighbors are sticking to their own property.

since if the SHTF actually does happen and the farmers are forced to quit spraying and using plows all the time it may actually end up being a huge improvement to the local environment and then perhaps we could work out arrangements for me using some of the nearby fields as gardens for beans and peas in exchange for protection and help or whatever... never know how things can go... cooperation is better than fighting and i certainly don't mind sharing, plus i have a nice emergency library for all sorts of things.

the local deer herd is quite large. i've seen more than one in the past few weeks and a few have been over 40 individuals...
I am not a fan of extreme tillage, and over use of pesticide at all. I'm always on the look out for a more frugal, environmentally sound way to produce food. However, we better hope that the situation described above doesn't happen. Here's why:

1. We are all dependent on the current agricultural production system. The food supply keeps folks content. If we have food available life can continue with little disruption. A breakdown of this system will cause massive chaos, starvation, and crime. Even folks like us who want to produce our own food will be affected.

2. The data doesn't lie. There is no other way to produce enough food for the entire population without chemical controls. We rely on high production yields (due to chemical controls, mechanized production, etc.) to feed our livestock, and grow our grains, fruits, and vegetables. That is only made possible by the current production practices. US Farmers feed 160+ people in 2020 compared to approximately 25 in 1920. We can't go back to where everyone lived, and worked on the farm and not have massive loss of life.

With that being said, I love and appreciate local foods, and I love to grow my own food. However, our lifestyle is not for everyone. Certain forms of agricultural production (though they are cleaner, and more environmentally friendly) are not feasible to feed the population. This is related to cost, labor requirements, and land availability.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
stores may be low on things but, I'm stocked and it wasn't due to recent buying. I just am pretty much always set for several months on a personal level. Livestock? Depends on time of year as to having one month or several covered. So far, feed stores are doing OK with supply.

As to this virus thing.....alcohol & peroxide are two things that can be used for personal and surface use to eliminate. Cheap, too. Out of one? Use the other.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Livestock? Depends on time of year as to having one month or several covered. So far, feed stores are doing OK with supply.
So far so good at the feed mill I go to - but I'll be back there tomorrow. I'm not letting the barrels get empty these days. If worse came to worse - it's about to be grass season. (it would be butcher season in that case also!) One of my concerns is dog food for 4 big dogs. But there again - it would become butcher season very quickly!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2nd oldest granddaughter (12) came down with "Type A" flu (influenza). She lives in North East Virginia. I was pretty amazed when my daughter took her to a walk in clinic, the were able to diagnose her with a specific strain of the flu with mouth swab in all of about 15 minutes.

the doctor prescribed tamiflu for all the family. My granddaughter, grandson, daughter & son in law. $300.00 it cost because the insurance would only pay $25.00 for each tamiflu prescription.

what stinks is she was going to leave Saturday with both grand kids to come and stay with us for 2 weeks. But now she's not :(

my wife came down with some funk Friday, she suspects it's the flu also. So I've been running errands for my wife. Searching the pharmacy isles with sick people at both CVS and Walgreens.

here is what my wife is taking, that she requested and I went and got. She said it's helped and I can see an improvement since yesterday.
IMG_20200308_203715.jpg

as for us boys (Baby Bear and me) wife said we are too mean and nasty to get the flu.

I wanted to ferment elderberries for wine last summer, but I never got around to it. I will this summer for sure though.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I should have mentioned... At both CVS and Walgreen's the dis-infectives including hand sanitizer was sold out. But I just ordered a 5lb tub of easy cleen cleaner/sanitizer for $19.61 off eBay. At 1 tablespoon per gallon of water it makes a lot of no rinse cleaner/sanitizer. Besides for brewing, I'll mix up a gallon in distilled water and fill a spray bottle with it. I'll put it in my truck so I can clean/sanitize my hands when needed. No rinse required :)

eBay item number 153355195015 best price anywhere plus free shipping.
IMG_20200308_210006.jpg

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2nd oldest granddaughter (12) came down with "Type A" flu (influenza). She lives in North East Virginia. I was pretty amazed when my daughter took her to a walk in clinic, the were able to diagnose her with a specific strain of the flu with mouth swab in all of about 15 minutes.

the doctor prescribed tamiflu for all the family. My granddaughter, grandson, daughter & son in law. $300.00 it cost because the insurance would only pay $25.00 for each tamiflu prescription.

what stinks is she was going to leave Saturday with both grand kids to come and stay with us for 2 weeks. But now she's not :(

my wife came down with some funk Friday, she suspects it's the flu also. So I've been running errands for my wife. Searching the pharmacy isles with sick people at both CVS and Walgreens.

here is what my wife is taking, that she requested and I went and got. She said it's helped and I can see an improvement since yesterday.
View attachment 13315

as for us boys (Baby Bear and me) wife said we are too mean and nasty to get the flu.

I wanted to ferment elderberries for wine last summer, but I never got around to it. I will this summer for sure though.
yep. I always have those on hand, although I make my own elderberry when I can find the fruit. Didn't find much last summer because of the drought, but I had some dried ones from the year before that I'm tincturing now.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its gonna be interesting to see how things go, I'm hoping our garden starts picking up soon and that at least food stuffs dont start running out at the store. Pretty sure being the only house with a garden in the fronts gonna put a bit of a target on us if it does :(
Just in case we've been stocking a bit more than usual for our own shelf stable supplies. Housespouse thinks I'm being silly about it, till recently. I got pretty sick last wednesday to thursday, still shaking it off but no longer bedridden and Think that spooked him pretty hard, that and we went to wallemert friday night and he got to see first hand some of the carnage at the stores. So did our roommate who's buried her head in the sand. The mart of walls had not one package of tp in the entire store. Sold out on every rice product, ramen gone. The freezer idles, decimated. Hand sanitizer ditto. Soap, ditto. The bread isle was completely empty too, I've never seen that before. And that was just stuff I saw passing isles to get what we went to pick up. I'm off to do some minor shopping today and I'm intrigued to see what'll be off the mend today

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can buy dried elderberries from Amazon.

@creativetwinszoo buy flour and yeast, baking soda and baking flour. If you don't have eggs and milk to make regular bread, you can make flour tortillas. Look up the recipes and stock up the items you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.