Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, it was a bit of a worry.

The staff seemed to have a cavalier attitude towards the whole covid thing. Actually overheard the staff joking how overblown the Ohio governor actions were today in continuing to move to shut things down

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, it was a bit of a worry.

The staff seemed to have a cavalier attitude towards the whole covid thing. Actually overheard the staff joking how overblown the Ohio governor actions were today in continuing to move to shut things down

That's surprising. My SIL is a doctor and she is hearing that in some areas, the US medical system is already being overwhelmed. Doctors are already getting forced into the situation of choosing which patients get care (and the others die). The whole point of social distancing is to "flatten the curve" and keep the number of people requiring medical care smaller than the number of people the medical system can treat.

"literally having to decide to place the 50 year old on the ventilator and let the 68 year old die. Shutting down operating rooms to convert them to ICU beds. People dying of unrelated problems (like a ruptured appendix or stroke) because there aren’t enough doctors or operating rooms to care for them."

To be clear, I'm not concerned about getting COVID-19. I'm concerned about flattening the curve, which protects everyone who might need medical care - for any reason - in the coming months.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with flattening the curve. It is going to be hard on a lot of people. We had a furniture store and in our insurance, along with workman's comp, liability, replacement for fire, storms, etc, vehicle, and the whole bowl of "what ifs", we had business interruption insurance. It would pay us average daily sales and pay our employees. I am willing to bet that a very, very small percentage of businesses have business interruption insurance. It sure would save their bacon now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do Bay and it's the best BBQ beans you'll ever have but you have to work hard for it. You'll most likely have most everything but magic dust, which is the restaurants dry rub and seasoning. I'll see if I can find a recipe for it also for you.

View attachment 13366

We processed with the pressure canner for 75 minutes for pints.

Edit...
Magic Dust recipe 👌
Have you ever made the beans using beans from the garden? I have all kinds of bean seeds that I need to grow out this year and this would be a good way to can them!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever made the beans using beans from the garden? I have all kinds of bean seeds that I need to grow out this year and this would be a good way to can them!

You could give it a try... IDK maybe quarter the recipe, make the sauce, magic dust, throw in some pork and a little water. Use your pressure canner as a pressure cooker. Cook them in the jars instead of the oven. I think I would bump up the processing time and leave a good amount of head space for expansion for when the beans rehydrate and cook. Maybe try a couple of quarts first and see how it turns out.

What I like most about these BBQ beans are the butter and kidney beans. They are married perfectly with the tangy magic dust and sauce.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went into town because we realized we were very low on the distilled water for our CPAP machines, only to find the shelves bare. Plenty of spring water, but no distilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.