Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I just ordered some vitamin D.

I take a daily dose of 5000 IBU vitamin D3 OTC in the fall/winter/spring months. Only because my doctor told me to. Otherwise I have a severe Vitamin D3 deficiency, evidenced by blood tests.

I'm out in the sun with plenty of exposed skin in the summer months. So my body naturally produces plenty of vitamin D all by it's self. Also evidenced by blood tests.

I wouldn't just go out and start taking vitamin D3 without having your doctor determine if you need to or not. That's about as reckless as taking fish antibiotics.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I disagree with you to the nth degree on "not taking Vit D w/o MD recommendation. As we age, we produce less Vit D. And, here, at my lattitude, I've been told that the only time of the year it's even remotely possible to produce enough vit D, (assuming that one is young, and producing at peak performance) is if they are out soaking up the rays during the summer solstice. The rest of the year, our Maine sun is so weak, that it's simply not possible.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I disagree with you to the nth degree on "not taking Vit D w/o MD recommendation. As we age, we produce less Vit D. And, here, at my lattitude, I've been told that the only time of the year it's even remotely possible to produce enough vit D, (assuming that one is young, and producing at peak performance) is if they are out soaking up the rays during the summer solstice. The rest of the year, our Maine sun is so weak, that it's simply not possible.

Same holds true in the Midwest, expecially during the winter. Days of sunshine are few and far in-between. And even if there is a sunny day, it's to cold and your bundled up with limited skin exposure anyways.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Same holds true in the Midwest, expecially during the winter. Days of sunshine are few and far in-between. And even if there is a sunny day, it's to cold and your bundled up with limited skin exposure anyways.
I think a rotation of it would be fine. I don't get a lot of sun because of the overcast right now. Every other day would be fine I think until we get regular sunlight.

On another note, I would be anxious to know how many have had it and recovered without any medical attention. I'd also be curious to find out if we had previously had the virus.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Back to regularly scheduled programming. All my jars of smoked pork butts sealed :) like I said I thought I packed the jars well, but obviously I could have done a better job packing them. Still a few meals for my wife and I in those 7 quart jars 👍 pressure canners rock!

IMG_20200323_130519208_TOP.jpg

Plus my hunting dog took it upon himself to go grocery shopping for us and brought back a medium sized turtle.
IMG_20200321_183850.jpg

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw a video recently about how to cook a turtle. The guy had an impressive looking snapper. Unfortunately, he left out the important details... how to dispatch it without loosing a finger or two, and how to separate the meat from the un-meat! One minute, he had a turtle that he pulled out of a bucket. I think he said he purged it for about a week.
The next minute, he showed the meat laying on a cutting board by his kitchen sink. He dredged it in flour, deep fried it, then put it in a bowl, and steam pressure cooked it at 5# x 1 hour. It was some pretty nice
looking meat. Any readers cooked or eaten turtle?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I saw a video recently about how to cook a turtle. The guy had an impressive looking snapper. Unfortunately, he left out the important details... how to dispatch it without loosing a finger or two, and how to separate the meat from the un-meat! One minute, he had a turtle that he pulled out of a bucket. I think he said he purged it for about a week.
The next minute, he showed the meat laying on a cutting board by his kitchen sink. He dredged it in flour, deep fried it, then put it in a bowl, and steam pressure cooked it at 5# x 1 hour. It was some pretty nice
looking meat. Any readers cooked or eaten turtle?
I killed and cooked one probably 7 or 8 years ago. It was a mess. It tasted pretty good, but a booger to clean. I couldn't even begin to tell you how I did it. It wasn't worth it-- I remember that much!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Back to regularly scheduled programming. All my jars of smoked pork butts sealed :) like I said I thought I packed the jars well, but obviously I could have done a better job packing them. Still a few meals for my wife and I in those 7 quart jars 👍 pressure canners rock!

View attachment 13460

Plus my hunting dog took it upon himself to go grocery shopping for us and brought back a medium sized turtle.
View attachment 13461
What type of pressure canner do you use? Something I have learned in my years canning is to always let the canner cool down considerably. I lost lots of liquid out of my jars. It was because I took them out immediately as the dial hit 0. Wait 15-20 minutes after that and you won't lose any liquid hardly.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What type of pressure canner do you use? Something I have learned in my years canning is to always let the canner cool down considerably. I lost lots of liquid out of my jars. It was because I took them out immediately as the dial hit 0. Wait 15-20 minutes after that and you won't lose any liquid hardly.

I don't know what type it is. It's an aluminum pot with a locking lid, a pressure gauge and what my calls a jigler.

I was trained to cut the flame, leave the jigler on, wait for the pressure come down to 0. Then remover the jigler, remove the lid and wait until the contents in the jar to stop boiling.

Then lift the jars out of the canner with a special tong thingy and put them on a thick towel. Once they are totally cool (over night) then remove the rings check to make sure the jars are sealed (lid button is depressed) , then label and take to the pantry.

My wife looked them over and said the obvious... Could have packed a little better but they will be fine as is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.