Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, here in the US, an infant is mandated to receive 29 vaccines by his first birthday. Here in Maine, a parent no longer has the OPTION to opt out of ANY vaccine that is on the list. Nor does a parent have the right to delay an immunization. Kid had a rough night, getting over a cold, just not feeling well? Too bad, so sad. the list says he must have a combo shot that may include 4 different diseases THIS WEEK. I am not anti vaccine... up to a point. Yes, some vaccinations make sense. But, I think we do a major dis-service by being so focused on prevention of common child hood illnesses. USA has the most aggressive vaccination policy and the highest infant mortality rate, ranking at the bottom of the list of the top 11 developed countries,
while Japan is the complete opposite on both counts, having the best stats on infant mortality in the world.

When I was growing up, parents would pass the lollipop when one child got the chicken pox. It was considered important to be sure your child got the chicken pox and mumps before they reached puberty!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For your perusal: clinical trial of cloth masks vs. standard masks

Hubby posted this morning that: if you are having trouble paying bills, and call your creditors, stating: "I can't pay you b/c I just lost my job, I'm not working, or I'm sick..." The creditors can say... well that's just too bad." and keep piling on the penalties. But, if you state that you are out of work because of Corona virus shut downs, they have to work with you and follow crisis guidelines. If anyone runs across the specific policies regarding this, please post.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
People are going to get exhausted, to the point of compassion fatigue with this kind of frenzied panic.

I think this is already happening. Social media is really slowing down. There's nothing much else to talk about and it's soooooo boring to keep rehashing the same COVID-19 stuff. No thanks.

In WI, we're expecting non-essential businesses to be ordered closed today and a "Safer at Home" order. I'd pretty much decided to stay home anyway! Yuck, I don't want to get sick!

DH's business is expected to be "essential", but he has cut back what types of appointments they will take - many are being postponed. Limiting access to the lobby area, having staff work from home as much as possible (which isn't much) but trying to keep staff and customers out of the building as much as possible without shutting down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2020-03-24-10-37-43.png

Screenshot_2020-03-24-10-38-39.png

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good to know. I bought a Mirro and don't use it b/c the gauge would never jiggle. All it did was constant hiss, or nothing at all. No middle ground. What say you? I use a presto with gauge and weight.
Mirro is a weighted gauge canner. They should be jiggling when pressure is at the right level. We had a Mirro when I started canning, and I had trouble with it.

In my opinion, All American Pressure Canners are the best. I have two. One holds 14 quarts or 19 pints. The smaller one holds 7 quarts or 19 pints.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad they didn't compare with cloth masks that have an inner filter; I would have liked to have seen if that helped. Also, the cloth masks were washed with soap and water- but it didn't say whether they were they dried in sunshine, so UV could further sanitize them.

I still maintain that even a cloth mask (combined with gloves) would be better than nothing at all for a non-HCW going into public for a necessary trip.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. Cloth is better than nothing. I have a few masks saved from my working days: I would tuck a mask in my pocket at the beginning of the day, and if not used, or only lightly used for a moment or two, it came home in my pocket to be saved for coop cleaning detail. We also have some masks that were purchased for wood working tasks. But, to send a HCW out to treat patients, armed with a cloth mask, is IMO, a suicide mission.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The impression I got was in VietNam, where the studies were done, paper masks are in very short supply. The cloth ones are used in the hope that they are better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.