Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yellowfin tuna is better, but salmon, sardines, oysters, clams, halibut, shrimp, and crab all have decent amounts. I try to eat sardines at least once a week- cheap, good Omega-3's, and one of the richest sources of calcium there are (because you eat the bones too).

Do you like them in oil or water? I find I like them in but oil better.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yahoo is my home page when I turn on my computer. Yahoo always has lots of news topics. There was a looooong article on stocking up on foods, a whole 2 weeks worth! It made me laugh. Most people couldn’t feed their family for a week, if that long. It’s not because of money, it seems to be just complacency. Stock up! 2 weeks worth!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seafood is a big part of the diet here. We have several species of salmon, albacore tuna, shrimp, crabs, oysters, mussles, clams (in order of size)- butter clams, razor clams, horse clams, geoducks.

Salmon candy aka jerky is fairly popular

Wow seafood I never heard of before <jealous>

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went shopping last night for the first time since there was ONE recorded case in my state. The toilet paper isle was empty. I saw people leaving with kitchen towels and a couple of teenage boys filled up a trolly with tissue boxes 😝. The panic is pretty intense! Its times like these that I am glad I buy in bulk when bog roll is on special! I have enough in the cleaning cupboard to last me a while. I hope, at least, until people stop panic buying!

I have enough food in the house to last a over month. I am not too worried for myself with how little I interact with the public and how far out of a city I am, but if it did hit my little town it would be sure to take down a few people, as it is mainly an elderly population. It would be tragic if one of the kids at the school picks it up, what ever they have goes around and around the tiny population (200 people in town, more out on farms) and sticks around for months. I hope the little grubs learn to wash their hands.

I am slightly worried about drinking water. While I have enough stored to last a couple months, if it keeps selling out the way it is, I will be in trouble. I don't know why people who can usually drink their tap water think they suddenly can't drink their tap water.

I will have to start a bunny food garden asap too, I have been buying them a bagged mix because it just doesnt work in the dirt here and I havent got my hydro/aquaponics set up yet.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's insane here. Hubby takes 2 bottles of the Kirkland water in his lunch. The case was half empty and time to buy. We went to the Costco business center as most members dont k ow they can shop there or know it exists for that matter. They did have some water, limit 5. I grabbed 2 and we should be good for a month or more on that since it isn't summer.

We have too much iron in our water. Problem with local wells because we're on the feet of a volcano. Even using a filter doesn't help enough if you're drinking it straight. Well I can taste it. Letting the water sit out a day to rust before using a pitcher filter works better, but tastes flat. I do use filtered water for cooking and tea.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's insane here. Hubby takes 2 bottles of the Kirkland water in his lunch. The case was half empty and time to buy. We went to the Costco business center as most members dont k ow they can shop there or know it exists for that matter. They did have some water, limit 5. I grabbed 2 and we should be good for a month or more on that since it isn't summer.

We have too much iron in our water. Problem with local wells because we're on the feet of a volcano. Even using a filter doesn't help enough if you're drinking it straight. Well I can taste it. Letting the water sit out a day to rust before using a pitcher filter works better, but tastes flat. I do use filtered water for cooking and tea.

we have some iron and calcium in the water and a lot of people don't like it and prefer bottled water, but i am used to drinking it and prefer it over bottled water any time. i dislike the taste of plastic so avoid drinking water from plastic as much as i can. considering the price and the pollution that comes from bottled water it is a very expensive method of getting water.

at the big box store they have a water refill unit which you can bring your own containers and refill for something like $0.40/gallon. we do that for a few gallons here or there because Mom's iron needs a mix of distilled water and tap water. if i had to buy bottled water for drinking i'd be bringing in my own containers and doing that. just from the point of perspective that i pick up way too many water bottles along the road that people toss away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts