Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"Good natural food sources of selenium include:
  • Nuts, like Brazil nuts and walnuts
  • Many fresh and saltwater fish, like tuna, cod, red snapper, and herring
  • Beef and poultry
  • Grains
Whole foods are the best sources of selenium. The mineral may be destroyed during processing."

selenium present in grains also, I drink a nice glass of grains most everyday, plus to do eat nuts occasionally. :)

It's looking like selenium will be found in foods if the plants are growing in selenium-rich land. Right now, beef is the richest source of dietary selenium in the US because they come primarily from the midwest. But those brazil nuts seem like a tasty, and relatively cheap, insurance.

1583198450453.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's looking like selenium will be found in foods if the plants are growing in selenium-rich land. Right now, beef is the richest source of dietary selenium in the US because they come primarily from the midwest. But those brazil nuts seem like a tasty, and relatively cheap, insurance.

View attachment 13285

I always learn something new from SS members 👍

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And Wisconsin is a big ole red blob of "Usually Scarce" for selenium in the soil. I thought that was the case, that is why I love shrimp - because I need the selenium, lol!!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure it's hit the elderly with a vengeance in other countries.

This fact does not surprise me. We pride ourselves on our "top dog" status when it comes to health care. Yet, when comparing infant mortality rates with the other 11 countries who supposedly lead the pack in terms of advanced health care, we are at the bottom of the heap with the highest infant mortality rate. So, why would it be a surprise that we also excel in the number of elderly deaths? United states infant mortality rate: 5.8/K. Japan 2.0/K.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also LOVE, CRAVE shrimp. AND salmon. Wonder if salmon is high in selenium?
Yellowfin tuna is better, but salmon, sardines, oysters, clams, halibut, shrimp, and crab all have decent amounts. I try to eat sardines at least once a week- cheap, good Omega-3's, and one of the richest sources of calcium there are (because you eat the bones too).

Status
Not open for further replies.