Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We went out and loaded up on supplies today: gloves, (even some dust masks) grocery products with long shelf life, cleaning supplies, TP. We could easily stay home for a month or better. I'm even well stocked with chicken feed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We went out and loaded up on supplies today: gloves, (even some dust masks) grocery products with long shelf life, cleaning supplies, TP. We could easily stay home for a month or better. I'm even well stocked with chicken feed.

I'm going to stock up just a little bit, just in case it gets real bad and shipping gets disrupted. 4 - 6 weeks should be enough, wouldn't you think? Sounds like it's going to hit early summer, so that's good. School out, preschool kids outdoors (reduces spread of respiratory disease), and - at least in my family - less dependence on the grocery store. Biggest risk or source of exposure is DH's employees who have young kids in daycare.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Working on my shopping list.
  • buy 1 more of nonperishable and frozen food items than usual
  • 1 gallon bleach
  • laundry sanitizer??
  • Lysol (I have enough, but listing it for reference)
  • Lysol wipes for my car, steering wheel, etc. would be good for if I forget to wash or sanitize my hands before leaving a store or other public place
  • Kleenex (I usually use hankies)
  • Paper towel (I usually use rags, but this would be good for wiping down doorknobs and light switches)
  • Extra toilet paper
What is on your list?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee! I can live without a lot of stuff - but coffee ain't one of em, lol.
Brownie mix - see above
I also bought t-paper and p-towels and bleach this morning.
Needed toothpaste and deodorant - Important if you have to get close to somebody - even if it's just DH

Filled up on livestock feed - but will go back early next week and buy another batch. It's not like it'll go to waste around here...
Need more dog food.... ugh.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not planning on pickup up much of anything but our normal monthly outing for supplies is coming up this weekend and we have some extra freezer space so i'm going to recommend a few things that might be hard to get for a while and see how that goes.

we probably already have a year's supply of TP on hand (hold it, that's kinda a funny pun (or two) right there!...)...

i have plenty of beans and we are ok for water.

propane might need a refill in the next month.

some basic things i can do without for a while if i have to but Mom might be upset at the idea.

for sure i'll add peanut butter to the list. i like to have that in good supply even if it takes me a month to eat a jar of it.

dried fruits and nuts are always good eats and if they have some lightly salted peanuts on sale i might ask for some of those too - nothing like that would go to waste around here.

even some extra cooking oil might be worth adding. i hardly ever use it but it works ok as lamp oil too in an emergency if the power runs out too much and the candles all get used up that might be something to use also as a raw energy source if hunger gets really bad before we can bring in some early crops/greens.

the real challenge in the face of actual starvation kind of situation is to not get so hungry that you eat your seeds. i'm not at any risk of that for at least a few months - i'd be trapping and eating raccoons, rabbits and anything else i could come up with long before i eat all my bean and pea seeds. viva le tiny shrimpies and worms even, might even find out how wood lice taste. heheheh, oh joy something else to look up today...

lolol "A big advantage of woodlice over ... Yes, they're edible and are said to taste like prawns. ... For woodlice you just put them straight into the boiling water and they are soon ready to eat."

note i looked this up after i wrote about tiny shrimpies!

dang i had some of my worm buckets opened up yesterday and i could have tried them out...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pantry is always pretty well stocked so I don't really have to do much extra. We could eat out of the pantry for mooooonnnnnttttthhhhhs. We'd probably get really sick of tuna and spam (yuck - but DH loves the cr...stuff). Fridges and freezers are full too. Garden has little starts already of peas, and I'm still pickling broccoli and carrots from fall plantings. Tomatoes are ready to transplant as soon as the weather makes up it's mind what it wants to do.

Dang - maybe I moved too soon on killing the termites - I hear they're edible too, LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts