They panicked and fought and
then panicked some more,
Then they rushed to their homes
and they locked all the doors.

The food will be gone!
The milk eggs and cheese!
The yogurt! The apples!
The green beans and peas!
The stores have run out, now what will we do?
They’ll be starving and looting
and nothing to do!
Then they paused, and they listened
a moment or two.
And they did hear a sound, rising over the fear,
It started out far, then began to grow near.
But this sound wasn’t sad, nor was it new,
The farms were still doing
what farms always do.
The food was still coming,
though they’d emptied the shelves,
The farms kept it coming,
though they struggled themselves,
Though the cities had forgotten
from where their food came,
The farms made them food every day,
just the same.
Through weather and critics
and markets that fall,
The farms kept on farming in spite of it all.
They farmed without thank yous.
They farmed without praise.
They farmed on the hottest and coldest of days.
They’d bought all the food,
yet the next day came more,
And the people thought of something they hadn’t before.
Maybe food, they thought,
doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe farmers, perhaps, mean a little bit more."
-Anna

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'm shocked that you could find ammo. At least here, run on guns and ammo is incredible. One local guy who is a one man show is running 12 hour days. He only allows 8 people in his store at a time, and there has been a waiting line at his door, and in his parking lot full for days.
Went to another place and got pistol and .22 rounds. Only missing 12 gauge 4 shot

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if New York is a sign of what's to come I fully expect supply chains to break. too many people at home sick and then thats it. we got a month before it gets really nasty here at best

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gun shops were ordered to shut here earlier this week.

Holiday makers are still coming through, The towns that have stores open are refusing to serve anyone who is not local. There is not enough stock for the others on top of their usual population, Some cafes are cashing in though as takeaway is still allowed. There is only 5 icu beds in the entire region, it is silly to come here. The no travel rule doesn't come in until tuesday.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if New York is a sign of what's to come I fully expect supply chains to break. too many people at home sick and then thats it. we got a month before it gets really nasty here at best
Make sure you are stocked up on everything you need to hunker down for a month or longer. Atwoods has metal trash cans, 31 gallon, we use them. They will hold 3 bags of feed. We stocked up on animal feed, we are raising feeder pigs and Cornish Cross chickens and wanted enough feed to finish them out or get darn close.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We did the same- enough feed for 3 months for the chickens, as well as the dog-- also remembered her daily pig's ear snack and bought 3 months' worth. The only thing I don't have 3 months' worth is distilled water for the CPAPs.. I only have about 2 months. I really don't want to be going out there. A HCW at the local hospital has tested positive for C-virus after some unavoidable travel, so that's 2 now, out of a county-wide pop of 66K, and who knows how many asymptomatic?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Pasture is getting it's first hint of green. That's a relief for feed/hay feeding. One year the pasture was so late and we fed a small fortune of hay and grain that year - it was bad! We lamb later now because of it.

I'm thinking my 4 - 6 weeks stock up will be insufficient. If people in the USA were more respectful and obedient at first, or if the government acted faster and more competently, maybe 4 - 6 weeks would have been fine. I made the mistake of basing that estimate off other countries. Now I see that USA is incompetent at responding to anything (other than their personal whims) and that will color my future disaster preparedness. :(

I'm concerned about what to do. I don't want to be grocery shopping during a peak, but I sure as heck don't want to be grocery shopping now either!

The first thing I will run out of is laundry detergent. I didn't predict that I would be doing 2 - 3 times more laundry every day. I haven't been able to get more (unscented, not sold in stores here). I did get a bunch of washing soda and have been stretching the detergent with washing soda. I'm also using half-as-much-as-normal of dishwasher detergent. Even running the dishwasher without detergent whenever I don't have greasy things in it. Edited to add: I checked online again and laundry detergent is back in stock, I bought my normal 2, plus 1 more. I just opened a box this week, so I should be okay for a while once I receive the order.

I am thankful for an opportunity to practice disaster preparedness and work out these kinks. Staying home is a small disaster compared to all the possibilities of things that can go wrong!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts