Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Masterchef AU has started back on tv and the ad breaks are promoting takeaway like mad. I got Chinese food last night, supporting local business ;) about to have leftovers for lunch.

The US factories being affected will be felt world wide. While much of my life here hasn't changed, the costs of food are sky rocketing. It hasn't trickled down to takeaway yet. Not that I get much anyway cos I am so far from everything. I went shopping last night and the prices have all gone up, except for zucchini and kale, which I am growing anyway, grr, haha.

Schools will open for anyone who wants to send their kids, which makes me happy to get them out of public areas again. There has been a cluster in Tasmania which is concerning because they shut that island down before anyone else did. It seems to have stemmed from complacency on social distancing.

Seeds sold out here weeks ago. I had a stash beforehand anyway. I was hoping to branch out into different varieties, but I have enough for now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a stash of seed, some old, some not. So I feel ok and haven't looked to buy many. May have some slow or no germination from old -- that's ok. Better to know now. I have seen a lot of seed in WM---well, couple weeks ago. Also TSC & Lowe's. I also see a lot of people buying and hear discussion that this isn't their norm but will try it.

Maybe it's like the yeast & flour sold out in stores. I sure wonder how their bread turned out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay I think you'll find out eventually why there was a shortage of PPE.
I already know. And I repeat, there is NO excuse for not having what we need, MADE HERE IN THE USA, to protect OUR health care workers. (insert obscenities here) China and their government run factories.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Calm down about food chain (referring to pages 101 and 102 of the conversation). The industry is adjusting due to lack of restaurant orders. People don't go to the grocery store and buy the same foods in the same quantities as they would at restaurants. At restaurants they eat tomatoes and potatoes and steaks and such, but they're buying shelf-stable highly processed foods (like Spaghettios and other canned foods) at grocery stores.

The market isn't bottoming out. Consumer are spending much more on grocery products than before, but less on restaurants. While some producers have scaled back or halted production, others are maxxing out their production to keep up with demand. Producers and suppliers who worked in restaurant supply chain are suffering, but that's not the entire food supply chain.

The best thing you can do to support agriculture now is to buy FRESH produce and dairy. Shelf-stable food sales are booming, it's the producers of perishable foods that are suffering.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Small sellers have seeds. Places like small grocery stores that get a rack of seeds, small hardware stores, feed mills, etc. Just like everyone running to Walmart for empty toilet paper shelves while the small stores were stocked. 🙄

I sure wonder how their bread turned out.

:gig Yeah, the thing that chafes for me is I think a lot of people won't use what they've hoarded. the rice, beans, flour, yeast, garden seed, etc.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I would like to understand if China will be held liable or at least accountable. Since China was the orgriganating source. It's common sense, considering the mahem and deaths the virus has caused throughout the world. I'm not holding my breath though.
I really don't understand why the blame is on china, Well yeah it started there, It's not from the Chinese directly. right?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The president announced Tuesday that the United States would immediately halt funding for the health organization, saying it had put “political correctness over lifesaving measures,” noting that the U.S. would undertake a 60-to-90 day investigation into why the “China-centric” WHO had caused “so much death” by “severely mismanaging and covering up” the coronavirus spread.

I "hope" this is a lesson for many Political Correctness can be deadly. Speaking the TRUTH is best no matter how ugly it is or how many people it pisses off.

Last edited:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pandemic pandemonium eh? Yeah. Been there for over a month now. I haven’t read this whole thread but I started stocking up before this thread was started. Old habits die hard. As soon as I saw it hit the US I started preparing for it ahead of the curve here. My new husband thought I was panicking 😂 but I just told him trust me...I know what I know..and he’s grateful for the toilet paper 😂 We aren’t suffering and have been able to help others in our tight knit group of friends family and neighbors because I turned temporary prepper for a few weeks. He is spoiled. Not to toot my own horn but I think he would have been in a world of hurt otherwise because he doesn’t buy for future, he’s the restaurant guru in the here and now when it comes to household preparedness. I stepped up and handled preparations for this pandemic. Neither of us have lost jobs, and didn’t expect to, and dont expect to in the future. I hope everyone here is safe and healthy with means to at least half way comfortably weather this storm through to the sunshine...whenever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.