Could my kefir be making me sick...Let's play detective

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Since last Thursday I have been feeling sick everyday for a few hours. It is always the same.

I have a smoothie with 8 oz kefir, 1 c blanched broccoli, 12 baby carrots, 1/2 banana, 3/4 c blueberries and or strawberries. and one fried egg in butter.

I have been having this same breakfast for months, and the broccoli is the newest twist but I have been adding it daily for at least 3 weeks.

I have this meal and within 90 minutes I feel sick to my stomach. Some days seem to be a little worse than others, like today, I had to get out of the pool and could not finish my work out because I thought I was going to throw up.

The only think new in the last 5 days is the brand of berries.

The brand of whole organic milk is the same. Although I have not checked the date on the carton. DH is drinking the same thing and having no problems.

Any ideas? After a few hours I am fine.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Since last Thursday I have been feeling sick everyday for a few hours. It is always the same.

I have a smoothie with 8 oz kefir, 1 c blanched broccoli, 12 baby carrots, 1/2 banana, 3/4 c blueberries and or strawberries. and one fried egg in butter.

I have been having this same breakfast for months, and the broccoli is the newest twist but I have been adding it daily for at least 3 weeks.

I have this meal and within 90 minutes I feel sick to my stomach. Some days seem to be a little worse than others, like today, I had to get out of the pool and could not finish my work out because I thought I was going to throw up.

The only think new in the last 5 days is the brand of berries.

The brand of whole organic milk is the same. Although I have not checked the date on the carton. DH is drinking the same thing and having no problems.

Any ideas? After a few hours I am fine.
Any reason you are frying the egg?
I would just use a raw yolk.

But, that said.....
It could be that your body is sick of the same thing all the time.
There is a name for it, but I forgot it :lol:
Also, your grains might be acting up, if that is how you are making the kefir.

Or, there could be another reason................... :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oooo, sorry Dace. :( Could stress be the culprit? When I stress my tummy goes nuts!

What does it mean when our kefir grains are acting up? How would we know? Mine have been extra large and plump lately. :hu I still feel great though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Oooo, sorry Dace. :( Could stress be the culprit? When I stress my tummy goes nuts!

What does it mean when our kefir grains are acting up? How would we know? Mine have been extra large and plump lately. :hu I still feel great though.
I know that they can die, so it stands to reason that they can go Rogue on you, if they get contaminated.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gosh Dace, it's hard to tell - there's so much that it could be. One thing we are experiencing with my 3 year old is tummy aches and loose stools after eating. She seems fine otherwise. I *think* there is a change in the milk because of the season and it's affecting her. They are getting more pasture now and I can tell it's a little different. Also, my yogurt won't set up. I have had 3 batches fail. I took her off of dairy today to see if it clears up - she only drinks a few ounces a couple times a day anyway.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well this is all really odd becuase I have an iron stomach and if the kefir was off DH is the one who would likely react.

The date on the milk is fine, kefir looks and smells fine.... Just can't figure out whAt is making me feel so pukey.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Based on the timing, my guess would be the berries.....? Try a shake tomorrow without either, and see how you do. Then add kefir back, and see how you do. Lots of commercial produce gets contaminated by nasty bugs, and you may have gotten a bad batch. Especially since dh isn't reacting to the kefir.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well good news is that I ran out of berries, so they won't be in my shake tomorrow.....although yesterday and they day before I made one giant smoothie with both blue and strawberries, DH and I both drank it. No ill effects on his part.

Hmmmm.......Maybe I just need to completely change things up, but I woudl not think my body would make me physically ill just because it is tired of the same old breakfast day after day :rolleyes:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A while back, I couldn't stomach eating veggies, so I incorporated a few new ones into my diet, and things are much better now. Change can be a good thing. :)

Latest posts