Could my kefir be making me sick...Let's play detective

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
MTN....gosh that is weird. Who would guess? Our bodies do odd things, that's for sure.

Think I will do my usual smoothie with out the blueberries. If I get sick I am gonna have to lay off the kefir tomorrow. :(

Oh BB.....I meant to add, that I have heard that consuming raw egg can lead to a biotin deficiency....so I just figured it was better to cook my morning egg. Can anyone address that? Do I just use the yolk?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's the raw whites...yolks are fine. I put 3-4 yolks in my shake. But I personally would not eat raw storebought eggs. I chose eggs that are super fresh and that are so clean that I don't have to clean the shell.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had the same problem MTN had - all of a sudden veggies made me gag. Once I changed up my flavors I was back to normal.
Hope you are doing better today!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My routine starts at 5:15am with a handful of carrots followed by 2 cups of coffee ( rapadura (Sp?) and heavy cream) between 5:30-8.

I come home from dropping off the kids, feed the animals and then make my breakfast.

Now here I sit with indigestion from my morning coffee and I have been noticing it over the last few days, but I thought it was because we were on spring break and I was just drinking my coffee a little later an a little closer to breakfast.

Now I wonder if this is what is setting off my tummy, and I am just not noticing it until after breakfast.

I am afraid to eat, but I am hungry. I just ate a couple of mini carrots and a hard boiled egg. I am thinking about having some rye toast.

Crud....what is up with my belly? This is really not like me. And no I am not pregnant.

Any ideas?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
. And no I am not pregnant.
:hide that was going to be my guess :p

But seriously, maybe you should check with a doctor. Or maybe it's something else in your diet that is reacting with your morning ritual??? just a thought and i hope you feel better soon.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, I haven't any idea what might be the problem, but you might want to give your tummy a rest for a day, and just take clear liquids. After 24 hours, if you are feeling OK, introduce mild, gentle on the tummy foods. If you can't, or don't want to do that, I would certainly take a good look at your breakfast routine, coffee included, and try removing a different part each day or two to see how you feel without it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One thing to note about coffee, is that it is super high in Phytic acid.
Very hard on the gut, never mind the number it does to the teeth.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
One thing to note about coffee, is that it is super high in Phytic acid.
Very hard on the gut, never mind the number it does to the teeth.
I was thinking about this earlier. I know if I have a coupla cups of coffee before eating anything, and then eat, (or even if I don't)I feel kinda funky too. Now, I don't drink coffee until I have eaten something, and I only have one cup a day most days. Didn't know about the phytic acid in it, but I always called it gut rot. I have switched to herbal tea in the morning. I find I prefer the tea--it tastes better without sugarthan coffe does.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Speaking of coffee..... I am drinking a new brand (whole bean) as of last Thursday, it is the bulk store brand. Hmmmmmm......

I can't drink coffee after I eat, I have always had a few cups of coffee in the morning without trouble, although I have cut back to 2 cups, been at that for several months....could be it is time to let it go.

Excellent idea in the broth. I just roasted a chicken last night so I just threw it in a pot.

Latest posts