Daisy - Dawdling towards Delicious

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chard is great. When we lived in CA (San Jose), we had a chard plant that was at least 4 years old when we moved. It was a monster- at least 4 feet tall. Even the aphids that covered it every fall couldn't slow it down. Up here in the mountains, most of it is annual, but I did notice one survived the winter this year, and is already putting out leaves.

Another good one that we are very fond of is collards. I grew it for the first time last year and even DS, who dislikes most greens except baby spinach (and only raw) liked them (cooked).

I ran across a new-to-me item in one of my seed catalogs called "kalette" have you heard of this? It grows like brussels sprouts- but its little tiny baby kales. I'm intrigued.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The forum members from Texas, USA might be able to help too. Australia is USDA zones 7b - 11. :eek: I can't really imagine. I've been to zone 11, but in the cold season - and it was still hot!

Thanks for that info :) Yeah, it is VERY hot and dry in summer, and winter is almost equivalent to an English summer. From reading the forum, it seems my summer is about as productive as the dead of winter under snowfall. Sometimes it feels like I am watering the desert with a hose haha. It does cool down much nicer than the city over night here, but it is more dry.

I am going to have a go at growing out of season, but I guess it is the sunlight more than the temp that matters for the flowering kinds.

ran across a new-to-me item in one of my seed catalogs called "kalette" have you heard of this? It grows like brussels sprouts- but its little tiny baby kales. I'm intrigued.

Ohh! I am intrigued too! Seeds are hard to come by here, more so now, but I appreciate having some names to look out for. It makes it much easier to look for a particular name. Kalette sounds like the perfect sort of thing for me. I prefer the baby kale as well, as do the bunnies. It can get a bit tough as it ages. Thanks :)

I really like "broccolini" and it grows easy here too, although I don't have any seeds this year and its time to plant. I could probably eat the wild radish or canola that blows into the yard in the same way haha.

The silverbeet is a kind of chard I think? I had a HUGE plant growing out near the orchard and I only pulled it out after the second year because its roots would have been starting to compete with the nashi tree! The leaves were still great in the second year of growth. I did get some seeds off that one but I think it is still a bit warm to plant them out again. I will not be surprised if it comes up by itself once the rain starts. My neighbour usually puts some rainbow chard in but I am not sure if he will do a garden this year as most of it went to the chooks at the pub last year, I had enough myself and my chooks were sick of it!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The silverbeet is a kind of chard I think?
Accodring to Google, it's the same plant as Swiss Chard that we're talking about. I puree and freeze leafy greens and use them in smoothies. I want to try pressure canning it too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
things i can think of are wind breaks, partial shade cloth and mulching to keep the moisture in the soil during the heat.

chop and drop crops also can be used to provide mulch and shade during the hotter season and can be trimmed back during the cooler season to let more light in for the crops.

permaculture sites usually have these kinds of things explained well in vids/text for arid/semi-arid climates so there is much out there read and ponder. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, if the tree went in the ground and full sunlight in full summer from a previously more protected area that could be a part of why it won't do so well at first. it may survive anyways once the top and bottom balance out again.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will look out for that, thanks :) could be a handy product for here! The Lucerne tree does have shade cloth around and over it, to stop the ducks getting to it but it is still a warm spot despite that. If it does die, I can probably offer to trim the neighbours tree for him and feed that to the ducks.

It looks like some plants are starting to suffer a bit in the heat today. It's been a pretty good run though, the soil has been well set up to handle it. More mulch out today. This week will be 40C so I will be back to watering every chance that I get.

find a bit of clay and add it to the sandy soil. :) that helps hold the water and nutrients in place. you won't need much, but it will be a big help. the worms will also appreciate it. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Easiest way to add clay to your soil is to dig in some kitty litter- the old fashioned kind without perfumes and other stuff- the original stuff is just little pellets of clay.