Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

A tarantula hawk is a spider wasp which hunts tarantulas as food for its larvae. Tarantula hawks belong to any of the many species in the genera Pepsis and Hemipepsis in the family Pompilidae (spider wasps).

The more familiar species are up to five centimeters (two inches) long with a blue-black body and bright rust-colored wings (other species have black wings with blue highlights), making them among the largest of wasps. The coloring on their wings warns potential predators that they are dangerous (aposematism). Their long legs have hooked claws for grappling with their victims. The stinger of a female tarantula hawk can be up to 7 mm (1/3 inch) long, and the sting is considered among the most painful insect stings in the world.

Worldwide distribution of tarantula hawks includes areas from India to Southeast Asia, Africa, Australia, and the Americas. Tarantula hawk species have been observed from as far north as Salt Lake City, Utah in the United States, and south as far as Argentina in South America, with at least 250 species living in South America.[2] Several species of tarantula hawk are found in the deserts of the southwestern United States, with Pepsis formosa and Pepsis thisbe being common. The two species are difficult to distinguish, but the majority of Pepsis formosa have metallic blue bodies and reddish antennae, which separates them from Pepsis thisbe (both species have bright orange wings that become transparent near the tip).

The tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation. However the sting, particularly of Pepsis formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, though the intense pain only lasts for about 3 minutes.[3] Commenting on his own experience, one researcher described the pain as "immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".[4] Because of their extremely large stingers, very few animals are able to eat them; one of the few animals that can is the roadrunner. As many predatory animals avoid these wasps, there are many different insects which are mimics, including various other wasps and bees (Mullerian mimics), as well as moths, flies (e.g., mydas flies), and beetles (e.g., Tragidion) (Batesian mimics)

This is what ours look like:

220px-Pepsis_formosa02.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Cool! Not sure if we have that one around here or not. I do at times see wasps dragging stunned bugs into a hole, but haven't had the time to really study them and see what they are.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alrighty, ready for more blasts from the past? :D

July 2010:

Despite feeding the local bug population, our first garden (carved out of the woods) is growing rather well and we are beginning to see the "fruits" of our labor of love:

Yellow Crookneck Summer Squash:

Golden Sweet Bell and Sweet Banana Peppers:

Baby Cuke:

Arkansas Traveller and Roma Tomatoes, companion planted with Thai Basil :

Scarlet Runner Bean bloom:

Comfrey and Garlic Chives companion planted with Winesap Apple:

Brown Turkey Fig:

The guineas are 9 months old and doing well. They decided that this was not our wood pile, it's the guinea gym:

Another wildlife resident. Found him under the large rocks that we moved to use around the coops to keep preds from digging into/under the coops:

And we added some ventilation to the chicken coop:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You always have such neat pics of animals. Not sure, cuz I'm not really up on my salamanders, but I believe that's a marbled salamander pic.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Thanks, Deb! Glad you enjoy the critter pictures, especially since I feel so fortune to be able to "capture" them with the the camera and share them. The experiences with them feel like gifts/a sign that we are living our lives right here, by doing our best to live with the land.

We did our "civilized" visit at Mom's yesterday (14th), so I haven't researched the salamander, yet. Will do so later today, though.

Had a big list of "get done" for today but we're just going to have a relaxing day and do what has to be done (bring in water, tend to the birds, and hopefully get the rest of the older pix off of the external drive). ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I should be getting some stuff done inside today but it's 68 here, partly sunny and couldn't resist getting outside for a bit! ;)

Opened the cold frames and did watered whatever needed it (mainly the plants I have in pots that I didn't get planted in the ground).

Tied down the tarps on the chicken coop better, to keep them from flapping around. I had the bottoms and sides tied off in the grommets but the wind was catching between those ties so I ran electric wire in between the ties on the sides and it seems to be working a lot better (30+ mph gusts today). :fl

Let the birds out to range since it's so nice, and put several bags of leaves down in the coop for them. The chickens will love it, the guineas will probably have fits! :rolleyes:

Since the days are slowly getting longer and the weather has been near tropical (for the most part), the hens are laying an egg on occassion. I've gotten 4 in the last week...not many considering we have 9 hens but much better than nothing.

Going back outside for a bit...

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
You always have such neat pics of animals. Not sure, cuz I'm not really up on my salamanders, but I believe that's a marbled salamander pic.
Yep, you got it! :D

Marbled Salamander

Now I'm really getting off here and getting back outside... :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I feel better now about my 3 girls. I only have one doing any laying, and I got 3 eggs last week.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suspect the girls overheard doc's remark about how they'd be more beneficial in the compost pile since they hadn't laid in months! :gig

And no worries, I don't add meat to the compost but do have full intentions of rehoming them since we plan on getting into a dual purpose standard breed this spring. The Banties have been fun but I'm ready for full-sized eggs again. ;)