Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope all is well with everyone! :hugs

Doc's got his week off in the works and just came off days, that's why I'm not living here right now!

Got 2 eggs yesterday ( :celebrate ) so of course it was cold here earlier but we'll be back up in the high 50's in about two days. This is January, right? :idunno

Spent the day getting ready to go to Mom's later on as we're doing doc and dad's birthday get-together. Their b-day's are the 28th and 29th but doc'll be back to work by then. Doc made chili, I'll be making homemade eggnog, mom is making pepperoni bread and cheesecake. :drool

Our last two years out here, for d & d's b-days, we have been blessed with an ice & snow storm...as of this typing, we're supposed to be in the low to mi 50's...I'm scared! :hide

The countdown to pea planting and cold crops is upon us and I am sooo ready!!! Weather permitting, I'll get started on February 15th.

If I don't check back in later before we go to mom and dad's, be good to one another! :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can't do much else right now. :/

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Eggs?? Y'all got eggs? We still don't have any...nor any evidence that there has been any laid...and ate. Pffft. Stoopid chickens :he

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Roxy's been laying me 3 or 4 a week since about Christmas. Wish the others would start to lay too!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I told DH we need some chickens like next door has. Looks like Arucauna or something like that. Big fat white chickens, and brown ones. They lay pretty brown eggs too. she said her 20 hens laid 17 eggs the other day!!! In January!!! :he Mine....nothing. Mine are gonna end up being Noodle Huggers if hey don't start popping out eggs. :barnie

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Maybe if you squeezed them first.... :hide

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MC,

Ya gott make that Noodle huggers comment loud enough for them to hear it, but pretending that you think they can't hear ya! Works like a charm here! :gig

I doubt I'd be getting any yet if it wasn't for the near-tropical temps we've been having. :idunno

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got my kefir grains in todays mail, before we headed to moms. (Thank you citylife! :hugs )

I drained the milk off the grains, gave them new milk and used the drained off kefir to make oatmeal for the chickens. Checked the nest boxes after I fed them and lo and behold...3 eggs! :bow The girls are really taking doc's compost pile comment to heart! :gig

Had a nice birthday dinner for doc and dad. We even got into the swet pumpkin pickles that mom and I canned and am glad to report that they turned out great!

I'll write/type more later today! ;)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Sweet pumpkin pickles? Is there a link to that recipe? Glad it was a fun Birthday dinner!!!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Pumpkin pickles? Haven't heard of those before.

Are you having incredible fog up there? If not- We can spare some for you.