Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Good luck with the garden preps. Have the Epsom salts ready for a good soak when you're done. It does wonders for sore muscles!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm back from my valerian tea "fog"! :rolleyes: Woke up Friday and could barely move my right shoulder...must have slept on it wrong.

Haven't gotten anything accomplished in the woods yet, but today I worked on rigging together a small 2' x 3' coldframe for getting seeds started. Figured it was a good, easy project and the shoulder survived and feels just fine.

Supposed to be nice for the next few days so I'll be hitting the woods tomorrow and putting in several hours of prepping beds for the ginseng seeds. I'm just going to do small beds, here and there, to avoid trying to move any large rocks and will move what deadfall I can to kind of terrace the hillside to keep the seeds from washing away.

Some pix of the area I'll be working. It's hard to tell, but these 3 pix are looking down the hill:

Looking back up the hill:

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
That's a beautiful area.
Remember to stomp some to scare away any snakes when your working up there. They love the harder to get to spots like that, and it's a warm spell. You're probably so used to knowing snake habits by now.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, dl! :hugs I love that area as it is totally away from the neighbors' places and you can't hear the vehicles on the road from back there. ;)

I'll definately be on the look-out for snakes since it's been so warm this winter. Supposed to be around 65 tomorrow and was 60 today! :th Bubba will be with me and the guineas will follow, I'm sure. Plus I'll have on my knee-hi Doc Martens and will be armed with my machete, the mattox and my Glock.

I suspect I'm gonna work harder getting everything packed back there than actually doing the beds! :gig

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be leading a parade. :lol: Thump that mattock on the ground sometimes for the drum section - the snakes will run for the other side of the county! Bushwhacking with a machete scares them too. I think they will be staying away from you.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gorgeous day here...67 degrees, sunny and just a little wind! :D

Finished the getting the small cold frame plastic on. Would have finished it up yesterday but had to figure out just how I was going to put a door on it. Will get a pic tomorrow, ran out of daylight today.

Spent a couple hours in the woods and was impressed with the nice loamy soil back there. :cool: Will put in a few more hours out there again tomorrow. Didn't see any snakes and the few patches that I got cleaned up weren't near as rocky as I was expecting. :bow Didn't get to lead a parade, the guineas ran in the opposite direction since I wanted them to follow me! :gig

Going to mom's on Wednesday and it supposed to rain, that's a good thing. Usually when we do the civilized visits, it ends up being the nicest day of doc's time off and we end up feeling guilty that we're not here getting something done. :idunno

Well, gonna get off here and get some supper then go through my seeds...

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good civilized visit at mom's on Wednesday!

The worst of the rain went south of us so we took a walk around her place to look at the daffodils, hyacinths and crocus that are getting ready to bloon. She had several daffs that should be open by now as well as some of the crocus. We're about 30 minutes north of them so mine are about a week away from starting to bloom! :celebrate

We went through our veggie and herb seeds and we're looking good, the only seed she plans on getting more of is carrots, lima beans and peas.

My ginseng seed and book arrived yesterday...just in time for the rain but I'm not complaining as it'll make it easier to get the seed planted.

Mom's coming over for a few hours on the 13th and we'll be starting our seeds for tomatoes, peppers and several herbs. They'll go in the cold frames. I need to get the shed straightened up so we can set up in there just in case it rains.

Well, we've got a break in the rain so I'm gonna get off of here and get my outdoor chores done!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Busy day here! :D

After yesterday and last nights rain it was too wet (and windy) to hit the woods today but the wind should help dry things out a bit for tomorrow. :fl

So I've been busy cleaning up the camper, getting my seeds all together in one place and reorganizing the cold frames. I just wanted to admit to this so that if we are hit with a blizzard tomorrow, y'all know whose fault it is! :gig

Gonna get back outside while I still have some daylight left...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wondered why my forecast changed. We went from almost no chance of precipitation to rain. :rant :smack