Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to laugh when the weather radio goes off and lists the counties under warning/watches:

"Clay, Jackson, White, VanBuren"

Those were counties close to us in TN and we lived in White. :lol:

Becca,

I wish I was closer to you, I'd definately take some of that chicken litter off your hands but don't think I'd be able to fill enough buckets to fit in the Buick sedan to justify a trip right now! :gig

I joined a Gourd/Pumpkin/Squash seed swap at BYC and got my seeds from it in the mail today! Ended up with 30+ different kinds of seeds. I'm gonna need a much bigger garden! Oh Darn! :gig

I'll actually pawn some of them off on my mom as I'm attempting to grow strictly heirloom/open pollinated seed this year. If I can get the stumps burned out of the orchard area, I'll plant the viners in that spot since we've got 150' of 3' tall chicken wire to use to start fencing off the orchard, anyways. ;)

dl,

When does the tourist season really gear up in HS for the spring? Doc has his work schedule for the year so we are trying to get our spring trip planned and not sure if we'd be better off catching the area in April or May?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The snow birds are already here, but I don't remember Oaklawn's racing dates. During the races- the town really fills up and traffic would be a nightmare. I think the live racing is done by then anyway.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll have to dig out my visitors guide and check on the Oaklawn dates, thanks! :hugs

A few modern day pix aka a tease until we get my other pix of the external hard drive which should be happening tomorrow. :fl

Our fog from the 22nd, looking up the driveway:

Jan2012007-1.jpg

The normal view up the driveway:

My kefir grains from citylife:

Jan2012006-1.jpg

Sunset a few nights ago:

Jan2012002-1.jpg

Be back later, suppers ready! :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Nice picture from the fog, very mysterious but pretty all the same!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I agree Buff! Beautiful! You have an eye Dawn! All your pics are great! :thumbsup

I may just have to use my swagbucks for a camera instead of the kitchenaid! I hate taking pictures with a cell phone! :tongue

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
It's funny that you have the same county names around you in the new place. Anything that makes you laugh at a time like that is good. :)

I remember that fog. It never lifted that day.

Cool sunset pic. It's so red, it looks more like a pic of a fire.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank y'all kindly for the pix compliment! :hugs I love my digital since I can snap pix like a mad-woman and just delete the crappy ones. ;)

I love the foggy days here on our place (not so much if we have to travel any distance in them though as guard rails are an endangered species in AR...you only see them at creek/river bridges). I've been out at the back of our propery before and had the fog move in...it was down-right spooky, especially when my landmarks disappeared from sight. :th

I'm one step closer to getting my old pix moved to the new puter but need to go through close to 300 files to figure out exactly where they're located. Yay!!! :rolleyes:

The other week I signed up for a gardening newletter via Facebook. When you sign up for it you are automatically entered in a drawing for a free packet of heirloom seeds. Last week, I was notified that I'd won the first drawing. The seeds arrived today and I didn't get one packet, I got 10! New Zealand Spinach, Green Zebra Tomato, Danver's Half Long Carrot, Italian Parsley, Joe's Long Cayenne Pepper, De Cicco Broccoli, Buff Valentine Contender Bush Bean, Oak Leaf Lettuce, Echinacea Purpurea and Granpa Ott's Morning Glory. :celebrate

I was doing some on-line ginseng research and found a place just north of us that still has some stratified seed for sale so I'll be placing my order tomorrow! The game plan was to start this project next year but...well, since that discussion occured at the end of 2011 and it is now 2012...it IS next year, right? :gig I'm so excited about this venture!

It's definately not an instant gratification type project but it's one that I'll be able to deal with by myself. ;)

I looked into doing a backyard nursery kind of deal and was excited about that until they asked for money to join the private forum. Do what??? You want me pay almost $700.00 for this "privelege"? :rant

Been raining here since last night (off and on today) but is supposed to be nice by Friday so I'll be hitting the woods and getting my 'seng area prepped. This job should keep me outta trouble for atleast a day or 3. :gig

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Ginseng's good. Enjoy your new project :thumbsup
$ 700.00 :ep I have a feeling you beat that price on good info. Even if you bought a few books on it.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seeds are ordered!!! :celebrate Supposed to be nice for the next several days so I'll be busy, busy, busy out in the woods!

The reality of it really sunk in over at mom's earlier and I was like...what have I done to myself? I've got almost 2,000 seeds coming in a few days and I'm not ready!!! Mom said it's probably for the best because now I HAVE to get ready. If I'd waited to get into this in September, I still wouldn't have anything done and she's so close to right that it isn't funny! Gonna laugh anyways... :gig

Had a good "civilized" visit. Grabbed mom up after she got off of work and took her to the pet store in Batesville and got some more fish for the 60 gallon hexagon tank that she's keeping for us, at her place. Got 2 Flame Dwarf Gouramis , 1 1 Yoyo Loach, 3 Rasbora Hets, 3 Black Neon Tetras and 6 Neon Tetras.

Now this might sound like a lot of fish to add all at one time but they were all small and the tank was empty except for 1 Neon Tetra and 1 Head and Tail Light Tetra.

We had a nice "Tetra tank" going in the hex for quite awhile. We had to replace the canister filter one visit, came back a week later for the next one and we're down to two fish. Checked the water and it was like bath tub water...not good!!! :ep We blamed ourselves for accidently hitting the thermostat when we changed out filters...totally feasible in our minds. The very next visit mom let us know she busted one of her cats going into the back of the stand so I cut a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth and closed off the gaping hole...temperature in the tank has been fine ever since! :smack

Well, I need to get off here and get my rear into bed...a lot to do tomorrow/today! :th