Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
She is so stinkin cute :love

I am slowly learning my muttly. I figured out yesterday if you grab him by the nap of the neck his mouth automatically opens, so I'm using that to train him to "drop it" because he keeps dragging dirty laundry out :lol: he's being a little pain in the tookus. ;) But i WUV him! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got rained on TWICE today!!! :celebrate

The first little shower happened just after noon but didn't amount to anything. It was just enough to drop the temp down to 86F, which was nice...until the sun came back out and it soared to 106F (in the shade). :th

Around 5 p.m., it started looking real nasty off to the west and by 5:45 the weather radio was going off. That's when the fun began...

The wind picked up and had the poor wind sock blowing straight out in every direction possible. Then the rain started and it was blowing sideways and in several directions at times. Had one huge clap of thunder then a nearby lightening strike. Both of those got poor Smoke spooked enough that she came tearing out from under the truck and out into the rain. I felt bad for her but there was no way that I was getting out in it and bringing her in. She finally bolted on the next thunder clap and made it into the soft-side shed for the duration.

The temp dropped from 100F down to 77 in no time and it rained for a good 35 minutes before the worst of it blew out of here. We ended up with a desperately needed half inch in that short time, though. :bow

It looks like it's foggy but that's just how hard the rain was blowing/coming down:

ry%3D400

I love this one! We use the blanket to help shade up under the roof in the summer and to keep snow out in the winter. Today, it took some flying lessons to the east. :gig

ry%3D400

And...we ended up with a beautimous sunset after it was all over:

ry%3D400

More Pix

The storm is heading east now and I hope those in its path stay safe! :hugs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Looking forward to the rain...NOT looking much forward to the wind! I have known it was coming though...have had a headache all afternoon!

nice pics Dawn :) LOVE the sunset!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beautiful sunset, and I know you must be so happy for the rain :)

We've been fortunate this summer to have had pretty balanced weather, not too hot or too dry or too wet. But the drought in other places must be so hard to endure and I'm glad you are getting some relief and moisture. How is your mulch experiment working out?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks all! :hugs

Moolie,

Doc will be bringing home more sawdust this week and I'll continue mulching the garden paths. It's working out great, so far, and I love not tripping over stray rocks or tree stubs! :D

Were under a fire weather watch for tomorrow:

...FIRE WEATHER WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING
THROUGH MONDAY EVENING FOR LOW HUMIDITY AND EXTREME GRASSLAND
FIRE DANGER FOR A LARGE PART OF ARKANSAS...

* AFFECTED AREA...BOONE...MARION...BAXTER...FULTON...SHARP...
NEWTON...SEARCY...STONE...IZARD...INDEPENDENCE...JOHNSON...
POPE...VAN BUREN...CLEBURNE...JACKSON...LOGAN...CONWAY...
FAULKNER...WHITE...WOODRUFF...SCOTT...YELL...PERRY...POLK...
MONTGOMERY...GARLAND...SALINE...PULASKI...LONOKE...PRAIRIE...
MONROE...PIKE...CLARK...HOT SPRING...GRANT...JEFFERSON...
ARKANSAS...DALLAS...CLEVELAND...LINCOLN...DESHA...OUACHITA...
CALHOUN...BRADLEY...DREW.

* WIND...20-FOOT WINDS WILL RANGE FROM 10 TO 15 MPH...WITH
GUSTS AS HIGH AS 20 MPH POSSIBLE.

* HUMIDITY...AFTERNOON HUMIDITY WILL BOTTOM OUT IN THE 10 TO 25 PERCENT
RANGE IN MUCH OF THE AREA ON MONDAY.

* TIMING...THE LOWEST HUMIDITY WILL OCCUR DURING THE AFTERNOON TO
EARLY EVENING HOURS.

* EXTREME GRASSLAND FIRE DANGER WILL CONTINUE DUE TO THE
ONGOING DROUGHT.

* IMPACTS...ANY FIRES THAT DEVELOP WILL LIKELY SPREAD RAPIDLY
AND QUICKLY BECOME OUT OF CONTROL. OUTDOOR BURNING IS NOT
RECOMMENDED.
Not to mention a heat advisory. NWS is calling for a temp of 108F so we should be in the 100-teens in the shade tomorrow. Yay....NOT! :hide I'm so thankful that the birds and buns and fairing just fine with this constant heat. :bow

Nothing new to talk about, really. Staying busy trying to keep edibles watered and have pretty much quit watering anything that is of lanscape value with the thought of if it isn't going to feed us or heal us, we're not paying for water for it. :/

The 4 remaing chicks are doing well and getting big. Will try and get pix tomorrow. Still looking like we've got 1 cockeral and 3 pullets! :celebrate

I was so proud of Cheyenne yesterday! :D She's just a bit taller than the cat right now and has been taking advantage of the fact. :rolleyes: Smoke is holding her own with a good :smack when needed. Did the civilized visit at moms yesterday and we had a family dinner, sis and BIL had the grandbabies with them. Courtney is 3 and Katie just turned 1 and I was worried Chey would be a bit too rambunctious with them. She was an absolute doll with the girls, and didn't jump up on them or make any attempt t to turn them into chew toys :celebrate Courtney took to her right away and couldn't get enough of her and that tickled me to death as we don't see them often and she usually warms up to me about the time they are getting ready to leave...didn't have that problem yesterday and I loved it! :love

Hope everyone had a good weekend! :hugs

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad to hear the mulch is working well for you :thumbsup Stay cool tomorrow, hope you get some respite from the heat (and fire hazard) quickly!

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think we got that storm too. It was nuts! Lasted barely any time at all but blew over both shop fans and knocked out the power for a bit but not at the house where the bators are going! Hopefully the thunder hasn't hurt the little eggies. I REALLY need these baby turkeys and guineas though the chickens could be replaced easily. I'm guessing Smoke is the cat? I have a cat Arnold who always slaps my cousin's kids for stealing his toys. He doesn't have claws so they think he's playing but he's imagining biting their heads off lol. He don't share his toys without a protest--especially the catnip ones.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks again, moolie! :hugs

It is, what it is, and I can't change it but I've been learning how to deal with it all better this year. Amend the soil, deeeep mulch, just keep on keeping on...and now that I "know" what I'm doing, Arkansas will suprise me with something else! :gig I'm glad that you've had a good year and appreciate it! :hugs I'm living vicariously through your gardens and will try a lot more square foot gardening next year. Thank you! :hugs

Howdy HWC aka northern neighbor! :lol:

Sounds like you got that one, too! It was absolutely nuts for 30 minutes here with it! Could have done without the wind but I was so glad for that bit of rain that I just didn't care! :gig

Yeah, Smoke is the cat...we also call her Spooky Pooky because she suffers from massive pupil dialation and kitty rips around and during the full moon! :gig We just think we own this place...the cat really does! :lol: She's still got her claws since she's mostly outdoors but is great about not using them unless she needs to. She runs and hides whenever people show up here as she's not a people-friendly cat and most folks think we're full of it whenever we talk about having a cat...glad I've got pix to prove it! :lol:

I'll be sending you a PM after I talk to hubby/doc_gonzo concerning some NZ red buns, quail and Australorp babies or eggs. ;) He reads this so I'm not getting away with anything...darn it! :lol:

I've got the makes of a country song going on...

Had enough rain to knock down the dust, made the puppy mad and Monday was a bust! :gig

Will post mad pup pix later today, still need to get them off the camera! :hide

Found a neat, would be perfect for the camper/and eventually the cabin kitchen cookery piece in a magazine that came in the mail:

10-in-1 Everything Oven

We can make monthly payments on it and will be making the leap come pay day. We don't have counter space for so many cooking appliances and I've learned a lot that I can do with the microwave BUT this just tripped my trigger! :D I gave up on baking with the propane oven as it's somewhat of an antique and won't hold a consistent temp, we've forgotten what toast is...I am excited!!! :celebrate

Well, I'm out of here for now!

Love y'all! :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I like that, Dawn! LMK how it works out for you. I'd love to have something like that in the tack shed.