Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dawn.. :frow glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.. :hugs have been there...its so not easy...
but glad to hear of the arrival of your new furry loved one...
your chick story is just amazing...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry about Bubba J :hugs

DH thinks I'm weird, but whenever we are picking names for an animal, I yell each name a few times. If it doesn't roll right off my yelling tongue, it gets chopped from my list ;) I usually vote for the one that's easiest/most fun to yell, because I know I'll be yelling that name A LOT :D We got our dog with a 'temporary' name that stuck. He and his siblings were born on Valentine's Day. The others had cutesy names (cupid, etc), but they named him Rocky. I loved it! Rocky, from Rocky Horror Picture Show, 'so named for the rocks in his head' :lol:

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Sorry about Bubba J :hugs

DH thinks I'm weird, but whenever we are picking names for an animal, I yell each name a few times. If it doesn't roll right off my yelling tongue, it gets chopped from my list ;) I usually vote for the one that's easiest/most fun to yell, because I know I'll be yelling that name A LOT :D We got our dog with a 'temporary' name that stuck. He and his siblings were born on Valentine's Day. The others had cutesy names (cupid, etc), but they named him Rocky. I loved it! Rocky, from Rocky Horror Picture Show, 'so named for the rocks in his head' :lol:
:lol: I usually let my critters name themselves . . most of the time a name will just seem to fit ours.

:hugs :hugs I'm sorry about Bubba J :hugs :hugs we lost our bulldog a few months ago and I still have moments when I want to cry :hugs :hugs

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love y'all! :love You're my family, whether ya's want to be or not! :hugs

I love your idea, SSD, and standing in the woods yelling all of the name choices cannot be any worse than hollering "c'mon Bubba" in the AR Ozarks! :gig

It's "cooler" here today. We just now hit 100F and the occassional cloud that visits is dropping the temp back into the mid 90's. Not a huge temp difference but a welcomed break, all the same! ;)

I've started excavating (digging just doesn't fit the description :lol: ) the garlic and the bulbs aren't as large as I'd hoped for but I think a lot of variables come into play...no winter, soil isn't the best it could be and the crazy weather. Oh well, some home grown garlic is better than none at all! :D

Despite the "hot as hades" temps, I'm making slow but steady progress on taming the jungle. The dry conditions seem to be helping as nothing is sprouting back immediately after I get it cut back. :cool:

My progress towards reclaiming the Chick-n-Barn from the jungle:

Before:

603_june_7_2012_002.jpg

During (and sooo looking forward to the After pic):

603_july_2_2012_002.jpg

The jungle that has taken over a good part of the garden:

603_june_27_2012_004.jpg

Pathway cleared for the squash and melon bed:

603_june_27_2012_007.jpg

Well, I'm going to get off here for now and get some chores done. :)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nothing accomplished this evening, so to speak. Doc is on days so I'm stuck with dinner detail. :hide

Got to see it rain today...across the road. We had maybe 100 rain drops and all it did was make it muggy. It's still 83F here. :barnie

BB,

I really like the name Sioux! Will save that for the next male dog...so we can have a "boy named Sue(Sioux)". I think Johnny Cash would like that! :gig

As much as I like Mojo, it may not happen since it's too much like the "NO" command. :hu Added Rayne (Rain) to the name list tonight and I have no clue where that came from! :gig

I am just about over old "10 foot tall" aka ChaChi! I can't get anything done with her attack-ability with the chicks, feed or waterer but don't have the heart to seperate her from the chicks. I dare a pred to mess with them as she's gotten alot of practice in on me! They wouldn't stand a chance! :gig

I am sold on kefir milk added to the hens' daily diet. With the 100F+ temps we're dealing with, I got 5 eggs on Saturday, 1 egg yesterday and 5 eggs today out of 7 hens! :celebrate They shouldn't even be producing in this heat! :D

Hoping everyone is keeping cool and if you're not, c'mon over and soak up some AC with me! The place is small, but I'll make room! :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And heat eveything up w/that number of people in a small area! :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that's some serious bush-whacking you've been up to lately! I love the "boy named Sue/Sioux" idea, you totally have to do that :)

Milk kefir is wonderful stuff, good to know it's doing good things for your egg production. Is ChaChi mostly being a good Mom?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
LOVE the name Rayne!! You don't know where it came from though?! Everybody wants a little "Rayne" right now :lol: ;)

The bush whacking looks to be going well, good job sis :thumbsup

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Join us today, folks, as we make our way to the wilds of Arkansas, in search of the elusive Chick-N-Barn. I think, YES! I see it! :lol:

Great job clearing out the jungle Dawn!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dangit Deb,

ya' foiled my plan to get peeps out here to help me bush-whack, puppy-proof and get some fresh blood for ChaChi! :gig

moolie,

ChaChi is a wonderful mom!!! I'm just getting tired of being so intimdated by a banty chicken! :gig

Wbf,

Thanks sis! :hugs Feeling like I'm not getting anything done but those pix helped me see things a bit differently! ;)

SSD,

Your post had me in stitches! :gig Our place really is the "wilds of Arkansas" as opposed to our neighbors' well-tended yards! Dare to be different, right??? :gig

Almost had rain today, again!!! :th Today was a pop-up thunderstorm to the south and east of us. I about jumped out of my skin when the weather radio went off! :gig Dang storm was sooo close that I could see the storm clouds through the woods and smell the rain...that was just so wrong! :rolleyes:

Pretty much spent the major part of the day making a puppy needs list and started puppy-proofing. This is going to be so much fun in a camper! :rolleyes: I hope we can get Bitter Apple Spray at Wally World, it will be a huge help as there are just some things I'm not going to be able to do, like get extra shoes out of the pups' way and re-route certain electrical cords. Then there's how to rig the storage space under the bed so that the new addition can't get under there and do any damage. Fun, fun, fun! :gig

Did a saffron rice and left-over grilled chicken microwaved casserole for dinner tonight and doc went back for seconds! :celebrate It was really good, if I do say so myself! Tomorrow night is Italian Sausage Alfredo from the microwave. It will be my first attempt at using the "wave" to cook pasta. :fl

Gonna get off here and get to bed earlier than I have been. Lots to do before we bring the new addition home and I'm not even close to ready! :D