Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan with DS11! Garden help for you too ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DS11 might not appreciate it now, but someday he will realize what you have done for him and he will be grateful. My grandfather had perfect, upright posture. When he was a boy, his stepmother made him come in from playing and lay on the floor on his back for one hour every day. I can still see his steely blue eyes and hear his voice as he told me, "I hated her for that, but now I am glad she made me do that."

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would your son like magnet letters or anything like that? I liked doing that for word building. That way he can move the letters around and not stress out about the fine motor skills part. I can think of other things this week when it isn't so nice out lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha! No kidding! Doesn't even cross my mind when the weather is nice. Get cooped up for rain or cold, and then keeping his brain busy is an issue.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Family and I went to the local dog park to paint their shed that houses their lawn mower. The city provided the land and helps with big things (like putting in a driveway this year), but the park maintenance is all donation and volunteer. There are like, close to zero volunteers. (Nobody is coordinating volunteers.). DH is on the dog park board (which is down to 3 people, the other 2 being a married couple). So it's pretty much just us keeping up the dog park. It's 2 acres, partially wooded. We painted into the afternoon until I was starting to feel unwell. I needed to save some energy for...

Planting my garden! I was excited to get it done and went out about 4 p.m. In direct sun. Hahah, stupid! I thought it would be okay because it was cool. Nope! I forgot the difference between heat and direct sunlight! Direct sunlight is worse for me, it causes vasodilation and rapid cerebral hypoperfusion. I was pretty out of it. Stripped off my clothes and laying in the garden presyncopal and not thinking clearly at all. :rolleyes: DH came to the garden and prodded me to go inside and come out later. Which I did, and about 6 p.m. when the sun was low, we went out. We planted green beans. I planted tomato plants and onion sets. The garden is *so* dry. The only things growing are the transplants that I'm watering. Even the weeds are pretty slow. Our pasture is not recovering from grazing - it's actually going dormant. So dry! Worrisome!

This afternoon I got an email. My lambs are ready! 4 orphan bottle ewe-lambs! And possibly a 5th if they decide they need to pull her from mom. I pick them up tomorrow! Will be quite a trek - 3-hour round trip with DS3 potty training. Not sure how that will work out. I was hoping to leave him with Grandma, but she's not available. He's pretty good in the car, but I will plan on picking up snacks. Usually I bring an iPad with PBS Kids games on it which has him completely enthralled and sitting still for my meetings and appointments, but HE LOST IT! :barnie (At home someplace). BUT I WILL GET MY LAMBS ANYWAY! :celebrate I plan to keep them in my vacant chicken coop which has a small grass yard - since my hatch rate was 0% on account of poor temperature control and too-low temps in the incubator.

I'm excited for tomorrow. Lambs and more dog park shed painting and more gardening. Not sure I'll get it all done, but I'm going to try! Sounds like a good day! :weee

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to look up those words;

vasodilation-Vasodilation (or vasodilatation) refers to the widening of blood vessels. It results from relaxation of smooth muscle cells within the vessel walls, in particular in the large veins, large arteries, and smaller arterioles. In essence, the process is the opposite of vasoconstriction, which is the narrowing of blood vessels.

rapid cerebral hypoperfusion-
decreased blood flood through an organ, as in circulatory shock; if prolonged, it may result in permanent cellular dysfunction and death.

Presyncope is a state of lightheadedness, muscular weakness, blurred vision, and feeling faint. Presyncope is most often cardiovascular in cause. In many people, lightheadedness is a symptom of orthostatic hypotension. Orthostatic hypotension occurs when blood pressure drops significantly when the patient stands from a supine or seated position. If loss of consciousness occurs in this situation, it is termed syncope

And this is a result of direct sunlight? I knew you had a lot to deal with, but I had no idea..... :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for lambs! That's exciting! What breed(s)? Have you thought about potential flock expansion plans?

Planting the garden. Oh boy I'm behind. Traditional planting here is Memorial Day weekend, guess I better get moving. I threw some old pumpkin seeds in the manure pile, does that count?

Have a safe trip to get the lambs!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Mind yourself over there in the sun and heat :hugs Can't wait to see the lambs!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha, baymule! My social circle is familiar with the jargon so I forget, but readers will sure appreciate the glossary!

Basically in direct sunlight, my blood vessels get bigger which reduces my blood pressure more than it should and my brain doesn't get enough oxygen and doesn't work quite right. Results can range from irritable to sudden ADHD-like cognition (or worse) to ataxia (I look and sound drunk) to fainting.

Oddly enough, since I have orthostatic tachycardia (fast heart rate) my body tried to compensate with raising blood pressure. On my diagnostic test my blood pressure went up to 178/91 when my usual is about 85/55.

All that stuff and temperature regulation and digestion, etc, just doesn't work right for me. I've been doing great this year - best functioning in the last 15 years! Last spring I was nearly bedridden, so.... yeah. Never know what will happen. Just celebrate the healthy/functional times and try to make the best of them!