tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Quilt photo for @sumi

IMG_0231.JPG

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise , so sad about the quads. Is it possible her protein was too high? My dad raised sheep for years. I was only a girl at the time. But, he always stated that too much protein in a pregnant ewe would result in still born lambs. I don't know how much merit there was to that statement, but he raised sheep that always won blue ribbons at the fairs. He started his first herd when he was 14, and by the time he was 18, he had grown that herd to 100.

That quilt is of a pattern that my grandmother made. All hand stitched. It even had the scalloped edge.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise , so sad about the quads. Is it possible her protein was too high? My dad raised sheep for years. I was only a girl at the time. But, he always stated that too much protein in a pregnant ewe would result in still born lambs.

These weren't stillborn. Never seen anything like it! One was trampled, one was in the water trough. :eek: IDK WTH happened in there, but it may have been more than just the actions of the mother ewe.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
2 yr old ewe had quads today - all dead already. She had triplets last year and all died within 12 hours of birth - 2 died in the sacks. I think she's going to the next livestock auction. or the freezer. :grumble:
Gosh, missed this post this morning when I flew through here. I'm so sorry to hear this :( :hugs I think if she's going to be that bad a mom, the freezer may be the way to go...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned.

Goats returned today. :ep Skinny but apparently okay.

IDK, there weren't tracks away from their pasture. No tracks back to the pasture today. And no tracks in the pasture for the last month.

Alien abduction? IDK. So strange.

I'm glad they're okay!!