Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise ... get together with @flowerbug ... offer to pay shipping and get her "thinnings " ... be like a christmas present in the mail.... you could get all sorts of stuff that would be a big surprise in the spring when it comes up....
I almost offered to pay shipping, but then I figured he wants someone to come out and do the digging/splitting. :gig @flowerbug I love surprises, so if you need to rehome bulbs I'll gladly pay for shipping a USPS flat rate box. :D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I almost offered to pay shipping, but then I figured he wants someone to come out and do the digging/splitting. :gig

yes, that exactly, if i had time to dig them up i'd have already done it years ago. i will get some of them done this year but not all of them.

@flowerbug I love surprises, so if you need to rehome bulbs I'll gladly pay for shipping a USPS flat rate box. :D

i won't ship bulbs because we have diseases and i don't think it good to spread that stuff around (same as i'm pissed off at the company that sold me these bulbs to begin with). some bulbs are resistant to the disease as it is but others are not and i don't know if it would travel with the bulbs via any soil on them. for a local person who would come to dig them up i'd be able to explain this and they could take their chances. someplace else, nope, not going to do that. don't want someone complaining i killed some special plant they have or such...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Another good day here. I've been able to write more today. Almost done with a segment.

I coerced kids to clean their mess upstairs. It's a relief to have it done! They still need to get their bedrooms clean.

Next up is the basement - the kids dig through the storage bins and make an incredible mess. The floor is barely visible. :duc Seems like every time I go in the basement it's for a massive clean out. (How is that even possible?!)

I forgot to buy paint when I shopped last night. I might get it at the hardware store in town when I run errands today. I prefer the brand of paint at the nearest home store, but it's not worth the drive just for paint.

Boi is settling into his new routine a little better. He is in his kennel during the day. Sometimes I leave the door open, sometimes not. He only gets food when DH is around, in attempt to change his opinion from "scary man" to "food man."

My old barn cat is at least 10 years old. She is slowing down. She asks to come in the house more, and she stays longer now. Today she meowed at me to lift her up into a window. I put a cushion up there and she watches the birds and naps. I should get a replacement barn cat. I hope I can convince DH to retire Gracie to the house. (He is strongly opposed to housecats because litterbox problems are so common.)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought paint yesterday and painted my staircase. It looked great last night, but morning light says I need to paint another coat. I patched (many!!) holes in DS15's bedroom walls and started him priming the walls with white paint. They are currently dark green - it's going to take a bit of work to cover them.

My upstairs room - an awkward half-story space - is next in line for paint. The walls are disgusting! We need to hire someone to fix the wallboard on the ceiling and paint the ceiling - it's more than I can do. I can't stand up with my arms over my head for long.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Upstairs room done. 2nd coat on staircase done. (yesterday)

I haven't painted anything yet today. :gig I haven't done much of anything. I finished a crochet project - a halter top with underwires. I wrote more for work. I'm on track for my last deadline. It's a shorter and easier chapter to write. I don't have to do much research at all.

DH thinks we should sell lambs in September (a month earlier than usual). okay, works for me. No news on gettin Dorpers, we haven't talked about it much. DH built a stanchion pen which makes shearing easier - a one-person job. I'm less motivated to switch to hair sheep right now. Sorting sheep out and getting them into the stanchion pen is a different problem, but could be resolved with training them...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I submitted an adoption aplication for a barn/working cat from a shelter in the next county over. We'll see how that goes. I don't feel like I have time to raise a kitten.

I didnt tell DH, so depending on how they check vet references that could get interested/funny. Most places just verify (with a receptionist) that the current animals are fixed and vaccinated.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope you pass inspection! A good barn cat keeps the mice and rats away. If I had a barn, I’d want a cat. My Anatolians alert on the neighbors cat and that cat is smart enough to stay on her side of the fence.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree, every barn needs a cat (or two). We have one that was here when we bought the house 16 years ago-I think he is on his last leg, much slower and not outside as much. And then we have acquired 3 more, probably from people letting them go because they didn't want to care for them anymore. We don't have any mice, snakes or other such critters.