Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
More happy updates. I had one rough day, was in bed, tachy, dizzy, irritable, cognitively impaired (my old normal). DH and I looked at my tracking and I had had half my sodium/fluids in the morning. I caught up, but didn't improve. Now I know that timing is as important as quantity. I'm drinking 8 oz of water and taking 2 pills every hour. As long as I keep that up, I feel fantastic and can function like a normal person.

I am still working through years' worth of things I couldn't do in the past. I'm still in the midst of painting my studio. I started cleaning out my basement today. I hauled 7 bushels of wood chip/wood dust/bark out of the basement today and restacked the remaining wood. DS10 was home from grandparents a bit today. I had him clean up after messes he left behind, including a big mess of board games and puzzles in the basement.

My kids are better behaved because I'm physically able to supervise them. I was able to get DS2 to bed last night - only took an hour. He just went down for a nap now - only took 3 and a half hours and me going up the stairs >40 times. (No big deal, right?) And I have to wake him up in 20 minutes. :gig poor kiddo! I hope he'll settle into routine nap/quiet time soon, this is exhausting.

I haven't started any farm projects/work. It's going to take some time before I work through backlog and am ready to take on more work.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in one day! :hugs I'm sure it does feel fantastic to be able to do everything you want to now and deeply tempting to do everything at once!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Basement cleaning is done! I did about half the remaining painting in my studio this morning. Had to switch paint colors and decided to stop there for the day.

I weeded my gravel parking spot (hah! It looked like a lawn!) and put down about 10# salt and watered in. My plan for permanent weed control is to get the soil so salty that nothing can grow. :gig. DS10 helped a little bit and also hauled bricks for me to make a smooth path to the new hose faucet DH put in. I need to get leveling sand, hopefully tomorrow, to finish the project.

I canned 7 quarts of pickles and made another big batch of zucchini bread. DS10 made a french toast casserole to bake tomorrow morning.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We went on vacation out west to view the eclipse. I slipped on my salt/water loading for managing POTS. It hasn't been bad, but I've noticed some symptoms creeping back, lower energy, and worse temperature regulation. Lesson learned. I'll be good now!

DS10 is all ready for public school now. Tuesday is the day to meet teachers, and Wednesday is the first day of school. He's going in 5th grade and then they start testing him the second week to determine what grade to put him into. I'm betting 9th, unless they REALLY play the "social/emotional" card. But we have an independent family consultant this time with the acceleration process and they're taking him much more seriously than 3 years ago when I got the "that mom" brush-off. Whatever happens is going to be interesting. Where's my popcorn?

I finished painting my studio! Yay! Very relieved to cross that off my list finally - it's been on my to-do list for years! I'm almost ready to start my next painting project! 2 walls of my living room have a poorly-done faux plaster effect. I just want to paint it the same color without the scrapey distress marks that show all the flaws in the wall.

DH and DS10 picked wild hazelnuts today. DH picked blackberries too. DH and DS10 picked the garden this morning. The first tomatoes are starting! Cucumbers and zucchini still coming but getting toward the end, I think.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know you had a blast on your eclipse-cation! Glad ya'll got to do that - what a memory!

Congrats on finishing the studio. I really, really should think about re-painting inside my house. It's been a good while since it's been done and it's starting to look like it. Ugh!

Back to school is going to be interesting!

Take care of yourself. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope your son isn't too anxious about going back to public school! We never accelerated kids in the schools I worked in, we did individual lessons and classes within the grade level for kids who were gifted (or who didn't meet the criteria for being gifted but were far ahead academically). It was nice because they got what they needed socially as well as academically. Not all schools do that though, for sure!

It'll be quiet at your house with just the little DS!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
they aren't logistically able to do that - or so they said 3 years ago, not sure what has changed since. The elementary school is in one building and the middle/high school is about a half mile a He's sooo advanced it's not even funny. He took college placement tests LAST summer and did great but bombed the writing prompt - didn't even try it. :grumble: Socially, he doesn't do well with age mates. Younger and older he does great, but there's too much hierachy tension with agemates. Emotionally he does best when he's intellectually middle of the pack. When he's the "smartest" in the group his perfectionism and anxiety get out of control.

I think community college is socially safer than high school, I wish we could skip this whole thing. Or that the state would make an exception to the mandatory school attendance law. Or that he would just DO homeschooling. The requirements are so low for homeschool - works out to <3 hours per day for year-round schooling - but he wouldn't even do that after a couple months.

I'm so annoyed with the situation. I'm ready for it to be someone else's problem.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you looked into online schooling? Unfortunately it would still be you that had to make him work! You can't get community college classes to double count as high school classes?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
He doesn't do well with online schooling. Worse than homeschooling. Our district has a virtual school, which was awesome because he could see his learning guide / teacher in person. But still not enough. They skipped him to 7th grade (when he was in 4th) so he could take high school classes for credit. He got mad that the high school classes were too easy and refused to participate.

I could put him in community college at my expense if I was willing to homeschool him. The district will pay for community college if they don't have equivalent classes - he would have to take AP classes first. It's possible to graduate from high school with an Associate's degree here. BUT, if I let him do that, then I don't have a gap year plan. I'm trying to delay high school graduation until he is 16, but I don't know if that will be possible. He will live at home until 18 because of his ADHD.

Latest posts