Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I made up a one-pot marinara and pasta dish.

1 pound home-processed ground venison
3 pints home-grown, home-canned crushed tomatoes
Herbs, spices, and store-bought pasta.

I should have made egg noodles from our extra eggs, right? :gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Try mashing cooked cauliflower with a few mashed potatoes. Tastes good & less carbs.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha! No way is cauliflower finding its way into my kitchen! DS10 would eat it but nobody else! DH hates the smell of it cooking!

I was out of town today - which was a good break from the farm. Since getting home, I'm feeling more overwhelmed than when I left! We're having a beautiful spring, 70 degrees and NO BUGS YET. I'm trying to make the most of it. I hate flies buzzing around my head!

DH worked on sheep fence again. The sheep are finally grazing the back section of pasture. He has had more evening and night work than usual, so his work at home is slow going.

Our deck needs maintenance this year, which means it needs the green goo and lichen scrubbed off. Oh my! This is a huge messy job! Satisfying, but hard to prioritize over everything else.

My house is a disaster and cupboards are empty [of convenience food]. Coming inside early to work on that this evening.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our gorgeous weather held out into yesterday afternoon and then severe weather hit in the early evening. A tornado touched down about 3 miles north of us, but we are okay. Didn't even knock the blossoms off the apple trees! Our sheep stayed out on pasture through it. We were in the basement! I was watching the green sky and clouds until I was seeing tendril funnels coming down out of the bottom of clouds and then sucking up into the bottom of the cloud. That freaked me out since I've seen that on youtube tornado videos near a tornado.

My kids were a mess. OMG. DS10 couldn't handle himself getting ready to go to the basement. I told him to put shoes and sweaters in a laundry basket to take downstairs. DS2 was "not having it" sitting in the basement, screamed the whole time until DH got home and brought cookies.

The tornado took down several power lines, including a major transmission line to rural areas. About 10,000 without power last night. We got ours back about midnight, but still about 3,000 without power this morning.

Makes me crazy that DH is still resisting a hand well pump. :duc

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So glad to hear you all are o.k. and no damage was done to your place!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I drove through tornado path today. A trailer park and big turkey farm are absolutely destroyed. It's unnerving. Life is fragile.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Glad you are doing fine. We had a tornado scare when I was in school this past semester--I was out driving when it happened. Luckily, my friends and I made into our basement quickly! That stuff is scary!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our power went out yesterday evening and still out today. We went out to eat last night. I have fire pit, dry firewood in the basement, and a never-used Dutch oven. My family vacationed on a island every summer when I was a kid - with no amenities - so I've seen cooking and baking over an open fire many times, just didn't learn to do it myself. Maybe I'll find my sense of adventure today.