Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'm jealous of your temps today. Its the 90s, and humid out. We are already melting down!!

Good luck on the dinner--it sounds delicious!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it all taken care of. I bet it will be just fine! And your meal sounds delicious! Bacon quiche - YUM!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hot and humid here. Today was cooler with the rain. I'm glad the garden got watered.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Grandparents visited for lunch. I forgot to put veggies with the roast and to make mushroom sauce to go with.

I was literally too tired to eat. I served it and went to bed for a nap. I managed to eat a piece of cake. I have nausea with fatigue, and develop food aversions frequently because of it. I won't be eating anything that I cooked. I smelled the leftovers and :sick. Nope. DH said it was good, so I hope everyone else liked it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:hugs I dont always know how to respond, but I really do appreciate your kindness!

My funk seems to be on the way out. I walked out to the woods with DH this evening and pulled out prickly ash with him.

I presented my plan of planting maple trees to tap someday. A friend tapped 50 trees, sold the raw sap and had enough to pay for property taxes. She taps with buckets and it's hard work for a couple weeks. I have a place with slope that would work out just right for running a hose system to a collection point that's easily accessible to an ATV. It's in unusued pasture, but DH okayed planting there. He said mark out rows and plant rows 8 feet apart so he can mow between them if needed. Yay!! He doesn't take to many of my hairbrained ideas so well. I'd feel more secure with a plantation of maple trees growing up for retirement income. More things to do.... no big deal. Not like my list will ever get done! :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The maple trees sound amazing! I'd love to have enough trees to tap for ourselves someday, though I'm not sure if we'll do maple as we'll eventually be further south.

Glad you're feeling a little better!

I'm also really glad you missed the worst part of the storm! I was feeding at a friend's farm one day and there was a storm coming, and a little tiny tornado touched down about 400 yards from where I was! I was SOOOOO scared!! I ran for the house, where, thankfully, the gal who was letting out their dog was, so the door was open. I yelled to her to get the dog and get inside! It really did sound like a freight train!
And I totally understand the water issues, too. I save the gallon and a half white vinegar jugs that I get from BJ's, they are heavier plastic than milk jugs, and I figure having held vinegar, they will keep the water fairly clean for a while. I have about 18 of them that sit with water in them at all times in my laundry room (pretty dark in there, too). Best case, we just use them to flush the toilet. Worst case I can boil the water for myself and the inside animals. When we are really worried about a storm, I will fill 50 gallon barrels that I have for water for the horses. Thankfully, my landlord, who shares a driveway with me, has a backup generator, so I've got access to water if I need it. I also have accumulated several tubs and toughs, so I can put out water if I need to (we have automatic waterers in the pastures) if the power is out. Most people don't think about water prep on their list of to-dos when the power goes out, but it is vital to a farm on a well.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a lot of maple trees in our area. All kinds of trees for that matter but I have never heard of anyone tapping them. I think it might be a good project some year...